Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V and Factory/Extended H-D Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 AM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Commander V and Factory/Extended H-D Warranty

I went down to my H-D Dealer where I purchased my bike to inquire about some possible upgrades and mentioned that I am wanting to install a Power Commander V. My parts guy stated that as soon as I connect the PC-V my factory and extended warranty are voided!

This totally ruined my day as I had plans to add this and a SE Heavy Breather in the very near future.

He informed me that I would have to go with the SE Super Tuner or their simple Stage 1 download instead. I'm not opposed to going with the SE Super Tuner although this is a much more expensive route.

Can you all provide me some feedback to see if this is true? Those of you who have the PC-V have you all had any issues with warranty repairs? Please let me know so I know which way to go. I may have to wait and save more prior to pulling the trigger!

Old 10-05-2011, 03:48 AM
hopperop
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will not void your warranty, but it will void anything they can blame on it and they will try to blame everything on it. Get Xied's that you can take off in five minutes before you bring it in or get something like a TTS that will reprogram the ECU and doesn't leave anything hanging off your bike so they can take one look and say that did it. HD is not big on taking responsibility for their product, if they can blame something on you they will, if they can't then they will just say that is normal don't worry about it.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
I went down to my H-D Dealer where I purchased my bike to inquire about some possible upgrades and mentioned that I am wanting to install a Power Commander V. My parts guy stated that as soon as I connect the PC-V my factory and extended warranty are voided!

This totally ruined my day as I had plans to add this and a SE Heavy Breather in the very near future.

He informed me that I would have to go with the SE Super Tuner or their simple Stage 1 download instead. I'm not opposed to going with the SE Super Tuner although this is a much more expensive route.

Can you all provide me some feedback to see if this is true? Those of you who have the PC-V have you all had any issues with warranty repairs? Please let me know so I know which way to go. I may have to wait and save more prior to pulling the trigger!
Your dealer is full of sh*t and wants you to buy a SEST because he'll sell it to you. Tell him to read the Magnuson-Moss act. By the way, the box of the SEST says that it's not for road use and it will void the warranty if installed.
Both are baloney.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more then likely he's not a dyno jet authorized dealer, that's why he gave you the HD only option, here is some HD dyno dealers in TX, give one of them a call and see what they have to say about it. http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/....aspx?state=TX

Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealership installed mine. I asked if it would void my warranty and he said since they installed it, they can work around that. Never put it to the test. Nothing has gone wrong.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hopperop
It will not void your warranty, but it will void anything they can blame on it and they will try to blame everything on it. Get Xied's that you can take off in five minutes before you bring it in or get something like a TTS that will reprogram the ECU and doesn't leave anything hanging off your bike so they can take one look and say that did it. HD is not big on taking responsibility for their product, if they can blame something on you they will, if they can't then they will just say that is normal don't worry about it.
Just because they blame it on something you did does not void the warranty. They have to prove it ABSOLUTELY was the modification that caused the failure. One of the most common misconceptions is Harley oil ....... if you run something othe than Harley oil and have an engine failure, they can blame the oil all they want, but they have to prove it. With all the thousands out there using other than Harley oil, that will be difficult. Now, if you start welding cranks, going big bore, adding a supercharger, they're going to give you a hard time. On the PC-V, most of the dealers install them and no warranty issues. In fact, one of our dealers has a 100 HP club and warramties those guys. I suggest you find a new dealer. If enough people would avoid dealers like that, only the good ones would be left.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty easy to blame internal engine/trans/primary failures on aftermarket calibrations.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM
hopperop
Banned

Originally Posted by frog13
Just because they blame it on something you did does not void the warranty. They have to prove it ABSOLUTELY was the modification that caused the failure. One of the most common misconceptions is Harley oil ....... if you run something othe than Harley oil and have an engine failure, they can blame the oil all they want, but they have to prove it. With all the thousands out there using other than Harley oil, that will be difficult. Now, if you start welding cranks, going big bore, adding a supercharger, they're going to give you a hard time. On the PC-V, most of the dealers install them and no warranty issues. In fact, one of our dealers has a 100 HP club and warramties those guys. I suggest you find a new dealer. If enough people would avoid dealers like that, only the good ones would be left.

That's what I knowed

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That's what I knowed
The problem today is "sheeple", those that go to the dealer, listen to whatever they say and agree with them. Dealers are there to serve you! They have been taking advantage of those with lesser knowledge for many years now and it has become the norm. Many times they don't really know, they just want to look like they do. See for yourself, how many of your dealer's employees own a Harley, or ride any motorcycle for that matter? The parts counter people for the most part are those smart enough to look up a number and run a cash register, emphasis on CASH register. They're in the market to make money, not help you. Don't get me wrong, there are good ones out there, but I've worked in dealerships, I've seen the hiring requirements. My salesperson for my last bike didn't know squat about the bike at all, in fact, had never ridden one themself. They had experience selling cars, doing financing and raping people for extended warranties. So, stand up for your rights, know what you are talking about. Knowledge intimidates those Motor Mall employees who don't really know.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Your dealer is full of sh*t and wants you to buy a SEST because he'll sell it to you. Tell him to read the Magnuson-Moss act. By the way, the box of the SEST says that it's not for road use and it will void the warranty if installed.
Both are baloney.
Very true. Magnuson-Moss also says that if any manufacturer requires the use of their components to keep the warranty in tact, they must provide those components free of charge.

But, the buzzards can do anything they want and then it is up to we the consumer to lawyer up and make things right. Harley dealers seem to be the biggest violator of this federal law of all. Probably because Harley's are the most modified vehicle on the planet.

I used American made pipes, headers, cams, air cleaner, and a Delphi flash tune on my bike. I didn't want their Chiwanese parts anyway and this set up will walk a SE set up that cost $1200 more.

I got the same song and dance at he stealer as you. But I have friends there and want to keep a good working relationship with them so, instead of printing out the 12 page Magnuson-Moss act and pounding it into the service manager's desk, I just quietly did my mods and hope for the best.

If I ever have to lawyer up, I will. So far so good.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V and Factory/Extended H-D Warranty