Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* Progressive Monotube install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
the bottoming cup is already on the bottom of your damping rods , you remove it and put it at the bottom of the monotubes , some year bikes have the damping rod set up in one fork and not the other side so they will only have one bottoming cup when the forks are disassembled so they give you one in the kit so you will have 2
Got it ... that makes sense. Thanks !!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:45 PM
willeb3
3rd Gear
Location: On the edge of the country--there are no roads that lead west
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottoming cups and threadlocker

Hi all,
I installed the Progressive mono tube cartridges in my 2004 Road King and thought I'd share a couple of things that might make someone else's job a little easier.

After installing, my right fork leaked. Taking it apart I discovered that I had installed the oil seals upside down. Not a good thing. So, tip #1: the oil seals go in with the "lips" facing downward. That means the printing should face UP.

Second tip: if you use red Threadlocker, and I feel more comfortable using a little, don't get carried away. I coated about four threads up by the tip of the bolt and that is WAY too much. It seized in there and what happened next i would not wish on anyone. A little dab will do ya. The stuff turns into plastic when it cures and you will have a bear of a time getting the bottom bolt out of the cartridge rod tip, should you have to.

Third, the bottoming cup that comes with the Progressive kit is for baggers with the factory cartridge in the left tube. When you install the Progressive setup you will need this cup. For Road Kings, reuse the stock cups on both sides.

Thanks to all of you who have posted. Great website! It has saved my **** more than once.