Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the damn allen head and torx bolts on HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 09:36 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
whatever happened to regular SAE bolts ? Why all the Allen head and torx head bolts ?

The damn Allen head small screws are the worse after a few years on your bike the damn heads rust and then strip out when you try to remove them.
What would you prefer ?.......Hexheads that wrenchs slip off and skin your knuckles ! or maybe Phillips heads that round out ? or better yet Slotted heads so your screwdriver can slip out and gouge the paint or chrome ?

Old 10-04-2011 | 09:51 PM
peddler
Club Member

whatever happened to regular SAE bolts ? Why all the Allen head and torx head bolts ?

The damn Allen head small screws are the worse after a few years on your bike the damn heads rust and then strip out when you try to remove them.
Sounds like a metallurgy issue more than a bolt type issue. Someone on this forum believes low grade phillips head/slotted head bolts don't strip as easily as low grade allen head or torx head bolts? I don't think so.

Old 10-04-2011 | 09:53 PM
Sailrider 1
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drukanfu
What would you prefer ?.......Hexheads that wrenchs slip off and skin your knuckles ! or maybe Phillips heads that round out ? or better yet Slotted heads so your screwdriver can slip out and gouge the paint or chrome ?
I would prefer not have the low grade Chinese Allen heads that strip out the first time you try to remove them. I have started replacing these chrome POS bolts with stainless steel. the torx heads aren't so bad but the Allen heads suck big time. and I have never had any issues with hex heads in 30 years of wrenching.

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:04 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

I would prefer not have the low grade Chinese Allen heads that strip out the first time you try to remove them. I have started replacing these chrome POS bolts with stainless steel. the torx heads aren't so bad but the Allen heads suck big time. and I have never had any issues with hex heads in 30 years of wrenching.
Stainless steel is nice, but they don't have near the draw strength of Hardened steel which just like the fine blades of yesteryear had a tendency to rust because of higher carbon metal. I'd rather have a bolt rust and replace it than than have it snap off........from my 36 years as a wrench.

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:12 PM
Sailrider 1
|
Road Warrior

Stainless steel is nice, but they don't have near the draw strength of Hardened steel which just like the fine blades of yesteryear had a tendency to rust because of higher carbon metal. I'd rather have a bolt rust and replace it than than have it snap off........from my 36 years as a wrench.
I would agree with you if we were actually talking about hardened steel. But we are talking about pot metal chromed steel. Most of the small Allen heads that are attaching the accessories are now low grade soft steel, that is why hardened Allen wrenches round the heads off so easily.

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:14 PM
peddler
Club Member

No argument here that the tensile of stainless replacement bolts is less than hardened steel but I've got to ask the question: The tensile may be less but is it sufficient to provide sufficient clamping pressure? How many forum members have actually snapped off the heads of stainless allen bolts without significantly over torquing the bolt?

Anybody?

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:23 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

I have had sooooo many allen head bolts strip. I would rather have regular hex head bolts! On very rare occasions I have had a rusty one round out, but that is very rare.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:29 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

DUDES, it's all about the install at the factory. Those bolts stay on the power wrench to install.
1 hand holding running the wrench and the other had reaching and inserting the bolt.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:38 PM
av ultra
Road Captain

Those torx bolts that hold the derby cover on are about the cheapest weakest crap I've ever seen.

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:20 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by av ultra
Those torx bolts that hold the derby cover on are about the cheapest weakest crap I've ever seen.
Never had a problem with them......but I always loosen them with an impact driver....hint, hint.

Quick Reply: Why all the damn allen head and torx bolts on HD