Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide custom, RG Ultra or Ultra classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadglide custom, RG Ultra or Ultra classic

I just sold my roadking now im looking for a bigger bagger.....I know the arguments over the nose of the RG...I love them...but my dilema is which bike....pros and cons of each?...I have ridden an ultra classic...great ride...had more wind than i thought i would.....RG cut wind better?....and id love to see pictures!.....Me and the wife do plan on riding very long distances once i come back from the land of the morning calm (south korea).....i would love to hear some feed back....

Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a never ending subject, the best thing for you to do is to rent each bike for a day and make your decision, everybody will give an opinion, but in the end you have to ride the bike.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 PM
batman825
Novice

I like the Road Glide Ultra, but I'm worried about the heat the engine puts out. I'm waiting for the water cooled engine. Maybe others can comment on the engine heat?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Stone1
Tourer

I have had both the batwing faring and the now had a Road Glide Ultra. The wife also currently rides a 09 Street Glide with the lowers so the front end is set up like a Ultra. For me the Road Glide is nicer traveling on compared to my 09 Ultra but I would not say it is night and day difference. As for the wife when she is on the back, she would rather have me back on an Ultra Classic. She said she gets beat up from the wind more on the Road Glide when around a larger vehicles like trucks and campers.

I would encourage you to try both bikes out and if your wife is going to be on the back, be sure she does the demo with you.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
This is a never ending subject, the best thing for you to do is to rent each bike for a day and make your decision, everybody will give an opinion, but in the end you have to ride the bike.
Great advice! And try to get as much time in the saddle on each model as you can. Very hard to get a feel on a quick dealer demo ride.

I went with the EG Classic with the intentions of adding detachable lowers for winter riding, fairing wind deflectors, and a custom fitted windshield. The only option my bike has is cruise control. I have been very pleased with the Classic but I have very little time behind an RG. I came off of a Road King and though I loved it, I spend a lot more time riding now. I mainly just liked the look of the batwing vs the shark nose. I can go a long way on my bike. Tomorrow I head back home from AR, about 340 miles.

Last edited by Woollymonster; 10-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 AM
machpilot
Road Captain

i had the privledge of riding an ultra classic for about 4 hours with the wife the other day...in traffic and open road...was very nice....i love the road glide looks....i have been told the RG cuts the wind better.,

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,771 Likes on 11,543 Posts

[QUOTE=batman825;8891256 I'm worried about the heat the engine puts out. I'm waiting for the water cooled engine. [/QUOTE]

Ride it in the rain...there is your water cooled engine at no extra cost

Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,771 Likes on 11,543 Posts

Originally Posted by machpilot
I just sold my roadking now im looking for a bigger bagger.....I know the arguments over the nose of the RG...I love them...but my dilema is which bike....pros and cons of each?...I have ridden an ultra classic...great ride...had more wind than i thought i would.....RG cut wind better?....and id love to see pictures!.....Me and the wife do plan on riding very long distances once i come back from the land of the morning calm (south korea).....i would love to hear some feed back....
Thats a tough call .... my choice would be the R/G Ultra, and have
the quick detach kit installed for the tour pak.
Then again, I'm partial to the F'UGLY !!!

Attached Thumbnails Roadglide custom, RG Ultra or Ultra classic-adirondacks-082-small-.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you are liking the look of the Road Glide over the batwing...

it's true that the Road Glide is more stable in the wind than a batwing, but you're going to have to decide which fits you better.

just remember, windshields are easy to change, so don't let the small windshield on the road Glide Custom affect your decision.. and vice versa for the RGU and Ultra Classic..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Ride is pretty much the same. The RG feels more open, more distance between the rider and the dash/windshield (thus more wind for rider and passenger).
As far as feeling wind effect on the bike with a bat wing fairing you feel gusts (buffeting off of trucks for example) through the bars. It isn't so bad that you feel like you are fighting it (actually I feel it less than I did on some other other bikes I owned).
Get out and test ride each before deciding.

Quick Reply: Roadglide custom, RG Ultra or Ultra classic