Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 upgrade and exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stage 1 upgrade and exhaust question

Hay everyone, I have a 2010 streetglide bone stock that I want to upgrade a little bit in performance and sound. On budget, and came across the Thunderheader slipon muffler that can be used with my stock pipes. Only drawback is that my stock pipes have a catalytic converter that my mechanic told me can be removed.
Power Module from HD goes for around 450 and then I would need the air flow cleaner backplate and race tube. That should run about 200. Then dial it in and dyno it.
The slip on Thunderheader goes for about 250 from what Ive seen and to remove the catalytic converter is another 150. Id much rather just go with a full blown Thunderheader but cant afford it now.
My question is will using the slipon with my stock pipes be same as a full thunderheader exhaust or will I be compromising or falling short in comparison?
Id also like to hear any suggestions or feedback on the above. Any suggestions on which power module to get and and why?
Im kinda partial to Thunderheaders as thats what I had on my ride years back and I loved it. Is it still a performance leader in the pipes department?
Thanks for any feedback and info.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Just curious - have you spoken to Jaime or anyone at FuelMoto? If you have not considered this, give them a call. A lot of people on this forum, myself included, have been very happy with their suggestions and products. I found their pricing to be very reasonable, and their advice priceless.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

No I haven't. Ill look them up and give a call tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 PM
itstime2ride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on fuel moto. Have been looking myself and without a doubt they are the best in customer response and knowledge.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:39 PM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Forget the power module from HD & the dyno.. all you need is the exhaust, intake & this:
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/

Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Buns79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save your money on the dyno IMO, I was in the same boat as you a few months ago...kinda, I did the stage one on my 2011 flhx I have Vance and Hines dresser duals $350, rc mufflers $400, and a screaming eagle intake $200. I installed everything myself and had a friend down at the dealer do the stage one flash (normally around a 100 bucks) after the download I still had a fair amount of popping on decel so I bought a set of nightriders ViEDS and now it run great and the temp has dropped about 10 degrees easy! Oh and it sounds great! Good luck!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the other's advice and go with Fuel moto, you won't find a bad word about them anywhere. If you're on a budget, go air, exhaust and tuner, if you have a few extra bucks and really want to wake her up, go with the cam too.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2010 StreetGlide I put the screamin eagle heavy breather, Vance and Hines hi output slip on and had the $150 hd stage one download. The bike ran and sounded great! If you only plan to do the ac and slip on the download IMO is the best way to go. Many of us have run with this set up for many trouble free miles and are very happy. If you plan to do motor work anytime soon then a tuner would be a better option as the download is for ac / slip ons set up.

Good luck with you choice.

T

Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to look at American Custom Exhaust. Maybe easier to do a simple exchange for your headpipe, and mufflers. Youll achieve much better flow and sound, for a very reasonable price, There mufflers are pretty sharp with the end caps on them.

Last edited by kmayHD; 10-04-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Race tube?

I didn't mess with cat removal. I just replaced the stock headers with V&H Power Duals. Fuel Moto sells a 2-1-2 replacement also.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 upgrade and exhaust question