Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any downside with going with this exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any downside with going with this exhaust setup?

Replacing the oem headpipe w/cat with oem headpipe that has had the cat removed

Screaming Eagle A/C

Supertrapp SE slipons that are designed for 2010,11,12 bikes that have a cat in headpipe

Dynotuned with TTS Mastertuner

My only concern in this is the open design of the Supertrapp SE pipes

These are both shots of the right side muffler...you can see the cat all the way at the end...now that I think of it perhaps the open design not to different than Rinehart?

In any event...anyone foreseeing any issues with backpressure etc? The tuner I talked to today did not see an issue at all. In fact he wasn't that crazy about the oem headpipe design as he said it makes it more difficult to get the rear cylinder tuned perfectly due to a sensor they insert in the exhaust?

In any event, more than open to any comments or suggestions about this setup

Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Bump...anyone?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

What is the inside diameter of the baffle? If it's larger than 2" it may be to big for a fairly stock motor imho.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is you would need to retune or a new map in your tuner. The cat restricts a lot of flow so with that gone your bike is going to run quite different with your current map you had with the cat in place.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The cat doesn't restrict the flow, but with the setup you have, it'll be loud.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by '05Train
The cat doesn't restrict the flow, but with the setup you have, it'll be loud.
No? The dealerships speed shop told me that it did? I've also read a lot saying the removal of the cat can change the back pressure, flow and sound?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PWFD
No? The dealerships speed shop told me that it did? I've also read a lot saying the removal of the cat can change the back pressure, flow and sound?
There are dyno charts posted here and on the Jackpot site. There's no appreciable power difference (at the Stage 1 level) between cat and no cat. You will get moderately better flow from a better header design (like the Jackpot or the Fulsac), but the cat is not a power impediment until you start making some serious power.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

I plan on having the bike tuned while it is there for the SE a/c install and the head pipe swap so that should no problem. I can't imagine the Supertrapp's being much if any louder than a set of Rineharts? I think the last time I looked at a set of them they had pretty much a straight through shot like these pipes do.......I will measure the baffle size tonight

The Supertrapp SE's are supposed to be only 3 db louder than stock so hopefully without the cat they won't be obnoxiously loud

Hmmm if they are and I decide to go with a different pipe like even the oem mufflers or Jackpots would I need a retune? I don't think things would change that much requiring a retune but then again I'm not that much in the know

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by '05Train
There are dyno charts posted here and on the Jackpot site. There's no appreciable power difference (at the Stage 1 level) between cat and no cat. You will get moderately better flow from a better header design (like the Jackpot or the Fulsac), but the cat is not a power impediment until you start making some serious power.
Good to know...

T

Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I plan on having the bike tuned while it is there for the SE a/c install and the head pipe swap so that should no problem. I can't imagine the Supertrapp's being much if any louder than a set of Rineharts? I think the last time I looked at a set of them they had pretty much a straight through shot like these pipes do.......I will measure the baffle size tonight

The Supertrapp SE's are supposed to be only 3 db louder than stock so hopefully without the cat they won't be obnoxiously loud

Hmmm if they are and I decide to go with a different pipe like even the oem mufflers or Jackpots would I need a retune? I don't think things would change that much requiring a retune but then again I'm not that much in the know
Any time you change the way air flows through the motor, you will benefit from a re-tune.

Quick Reply: Any downside with going with this exhaust setup?