Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any downside with going with this exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I'm just thinking the Supertrapps will be too loud with either the gutted headpipe or a FM or V&H Dresser Duals
Agreed.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the 4" Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers, AN Big Sucker and FL-XiED-10 kit, with my stock cat-equipped head pipes.

I'm following Ronp42's KISS principle...

Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

You want a little more sound ( but just a little ). better flow to rid some heat, and some power gain in the process.
That's also what I wanted to do and spent all kinds of money on a V&H pro pip, Bub 7, Rinehart, etc. ! I ended up with STOCK headers Without the CC, an A/C, and the STOCK muffler. More than expected power gain, little more sound, little cooler running engine. You should get a tune though. Like I stated in another thread....riding 2-up (420lbs) going Up a ramp hit 110 mph. and not even getting into 6th gear yet ! I'm not touching a thing anymore.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I was out doing some leaf peeping with the wife to day in the White Mountains (in car) and saw a TON of bikes and I mean a ton.....seems everyone but me was out riding lol

So I had the opportunity to hear and see a lot of systems..... the majority of bikes I saw were running Rineharts (big surprise huh) and not sure of the headpipe...I gotta say they sounded awesome...nice low bass rumble and tone...you could def tell those bikes apart from the other ones...I may be leaning to those pipes now, not sure if with stock header with cat gutted or a FM header or maybe even V&H Dresser Duals...I mean they sounded that great to me

I'm not sure what a/c I'm going to use.....I get a pretty good discount from HD (military) and to be honest...I sort of messed up my Ness when I was removing it...the media got sort of distorted looking like it was squished down and bent (I used proper torque values) and also you know those little black threaded studs that screw in place to hold the air filter? When removing on of them stayed in the threaded portion rather than coming out with the other bigger part that it threads into...so I sort of messed up the threads having to use some pliers to get it out. I wrote Ness about replacement parts but just like Supertrapp...no answer or reply

So that being said...I have some HD chrome cash to burn and it may go to that

Last edited by Port Dawg; 10-08-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

the majority of bikes I saw were running Rineharts (big surprise huh) and not sure of the headpipe...I gotta say they sounded awesome...nice low bass rumble and tone...you could def tell those bikes apart from the other ones... I may be leaning to those pipes now, not sure if with stock header with cat gutted or a FM header or maybe even V&H Dresser Duals...I mean they sounded that great to me
Port Dawg, those Rinehart's are going to be loud with a gutted or catless headpipe and stage I upgrade. At cruising speed, on catless head pipes, the stock mufflers produce 91-93 dB's, the SE's produce 94 dB's and the Rinehart's produce 99 dB's! If you want loud, then go for it. Just sayin'...

The Rinehart's and SE's produce a similar low, deep rumble, like a 60's muscle car, while the Jackpot's have a deep, more open sound, like a Harley, IMHO.

To hear what I mean, check out the video demo's below.

SuperTrapp SE's on 2011 RK with stock headpipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwdx...eature=related

Jackpot's on 2010 RK with stock headpipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmyb-UbJNA

Rinehart's on 2011 SG with stock headpipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJdT...yer_detailpage

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 10-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

damn there was a purple house in the last video lol.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Thanks for the vids Fender..yes you can tell the diff for sure between the pipes. I imagine that the Supertrapps I have now would be closer to the 100db level without the cat. I took a ride to the seacoast today and they do sound nice cruising at about 75...under overpasses...yeah they have a nice bark

All this might be put on hold anyways as I'm looking at getting a truck before winter

I'm going to be conversing with Fuel Moto as well for some recommendations and options

Oh and I gotta sort of put my tail between my legs regarding Supertrapp quality I was yakking about....the "flat" bubble in the chrome? It ended up being a number 0 that the clamp was cutting in half ....ooopsss...

Maybe 1/2 a demerit to them for the ding in one of the pipes but the chrome is in fine shape

Yes that was one hell of a purple house in the Rinehart clip lol

I guess my biggest fear is putting on the gutted header with the SE a/c and the Supertrapps and having it tuned...and finding out the sound is awful...I imagine putting a different set of pipes on afterwards would reek havoc with the tune

Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the vids Fender..yes you can tell the diff for sure between the pipes.
I edited the video demos for a more fair comparison. Now you have 3 2009-up tourers with stock motors and stock headpipes: one with the SuperTrapp SE's, one with the Jackpot 4 Dyno Tuned and one with the Rinehart 4's.

For a "slip-on's only" upgrade, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. It would be a matter of what sound you liked best.

I think you're making a wise decision by speaking with the folks at Fuel Moto. They sell all three of those mufflers, which says something. You'll get some good feedback on any differences, too.

Let me know what you find out.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to throw in my two cents as I just did a Stage One with the 2011 RKC 103.

There was absolutely no way I was going to put on any add-on mufflers, intakes, etc without installing a new Ceramic Coated (or any other) head pipe to get rid of the Cat! No way what-so-ever.

The Cat was adding to the massive heat gain and breathing restriction in the engine. It had to go.

I installed the Fuel Moto Ceramic Coated headpipes with their air intake, Jackpot Pro 4.5 inch Mufflers and Power Vision.

The Jackpots sound IMHO and that of other friends, better than the Rineharts. I was going to buy the Rineharts but for one reason or another, and I'm not bashing Rinehart... they had a drone to them at highway speed that drove me crazy when I demo'ed them.

The Jackpot 4.5's have this booming deep bass sound that as mentioned, really emulates the original sound of a Harley!

When I installed them and fired up the engine, you could feel the air flow through the engine and entire system and the out-flow through the Jackpots... A LOT!

The RKC feels as if it's now breathing and has come alive... and I live at 5420 feet and ride routinely over 11,000 ft.

So as someone mentioned, try not to throw in too many variables into your equation.

KISS! Keep it simple.

But I would not in any way shape or form do a Stage One or modified Stage One without first installing a high quality free breathing head pipe... ceramic coated is preferable for moving that heat down out through the exhaust.

Again, YMMV... good luck!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

After listening to those 3 videos again I think the Supertrapps and the Rineharts sound somewhat similar...sort of a deeper noise than the Jackpots...not that the Jackpots sound bad at all, just a different sound.

I am probably looking at the Fuelmoto header and am going to ask Jamie what he thinks about using the Supertrapp SE's on his headerpipe...it is definitely a straight thru pipe so it will be loud(er) I will trust his judgment as he has probably heard them all from a-z in almost any config

Do we know if the Jackpots (slipons)are a straight thru design?

I'm not sure what happened as far as the heat goes....before I put the Ness Big Sucker on the heat from the cat and engines was a non factor..I mean like nil....after I put on the BS the heat cranked up big time...I attributed this to the motor running pretty lean without adjusting the ECM. But even with the stock a/c back on and the oem map loaded back I can feel the heat on my thigh and calf big time.

Still a head scratcher on what happened there.....so yes I know Capt Itch will help in that regard but the heat monster has been unleashed and it is not feeling too good........and the stock header is turning purple now.....I mean big time lol...so I may shelve the gutted oem header I have and go with the FM one...a talk with Jamie should help

Last edited by Port Dawg; 10-10-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

After listening to those 3 videos again I think the Supertrapps and the Rineharts sound somewhat similar...sort of a deeper noise than the Jackpots...not that the Jackpots sound bad at all, just a different sound.
I agree. The SuperTrapp SE's and the Rinehart's sound very similar in tone - deep and thick, but more monotonic in nature.

The Jackpots have a deep, open tone in which one can clearly hear the characteristic lope of the V-Twin.

I'm not sure what happened as far as the heat goes... after I put on the BS the heat cranked up big time... But even with the stock a/c back on and the oem map loaded back I can feel the heat on my thigh and calf big time.
We felt the exhaust heat on my SG this summer, but it was hot and we were sitting in traffic. Since I installed the Captain Itch Crotch Cooler, we haven't felt the need to complain.

Quick Reply: Any downside with going with this exhaust setup?