Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with Speaker options for 2012 Road Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
RickO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love tunes while I'm riding. It's just me. I have an '11 Road Glide and I went with the following. Hog Tunes Amp, Hog Tunes replacement speakers, Hog Tunes Tweeter Pod, Biketronics, (I think) powered antenna hidden in the cowl, Harley iTunes interface, iPod Nano and lastly DynaMat sound deadening material mounted inside the cowl. I know I could have done better with an aftermarket head unit but having gone through that with the Dragon Fly mounted on my old Road King so I wanted to stick with the Harley HK unit. I should add, (because it matters) I have a Klock Werks 12 inch windshield and Rinehart pipes which make a racket.

I had thought that I paid enough attention to detail that I'd get a good, if not great sound for my ride. I don't think so. Here's a problem, apples and oranges. Me and my buddy traded bikes last week for ten miles. He has a Street Glide with Hawg Wired amp and speakers. It sounds better than mine BUT the batwing has those speakers right in your face. It's hard to tell if I went with Hawg Wired, if I'd find what I'm looking for. I do know this, I'm selling my Hog Tunes set up.

Plan-B is new speakers, either Hawg Tunes or Yaffes' dual speaker set up. (Four in the cowl) and a new amp, either Rockford Fosgate from Yaffe or Hawg Tunes. As much as I like tunes I don't want anything in the lids.

Comments? Ideas? Input? No, I won't do ear buds either. Just saying.

Rick / Scoop from New Hampshire.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Boom Speakers and Hidden Antenna.
The speakers are much, much better than stock and a breeze to install. they have a double "tab-connector" that really simplifies the install.
I wish I had stayed with the stock antenna (or cut it down), the radio reception REALLY suffers.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

I have the 4 in the fairing from yaffe and the saddle bag speakers. LOVE IT!!!!!! Its so loud. and clear even with the H/K radio. I have lots of pics and instructions if you guys are interested. PM me with your email address. Hawg wired is a great way to go if you want to spend alot of coin. The new PBR300/4 from Rockford Fasgate would probably be a good option for less $$$$ but i have not seen or listened to one yet so i honestly couldnt tell you how it sounds.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many states are the 'ear buds' outlawed in ?????

I always see people recommend these, but..............in a lot of states they are illegal

Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
How many states are the 'ear buds' outlawed in ?????

I always see people recommend these, but..............in a lot of states they are illegal

So are straight pipes, and handlebars higher than your shoulders in most states. It's a matter of enforcement.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

I have seen ear buds that go for as much as $1400. I think that it's a little high. But they claim they are amazing. I will stick with lots speakers.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
RickO
Intermediate

Like I said, me personally, I'm not an ear bud type but I do recognize the benefit.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM
RickO
Intermediate

I'm a semi geek technically and by mind set. I read, review and understand to the point to which I'm comfortable with the direction I'm going to take. Well... Most times. Because THIS time, making the Hog Tunes purchase, I was in a hurry and broke my own rules. Fine, I get a giant dope slap. My fault. Done. I'll fix the problem over the winter. I have lots to do. Fix the stereo. 21 inch wheel out front. Love a 23 but that requires rake work. Paint for the new fender and stretched bags. If you want to see my bike, look at piesic650 and then think black handle bars and fork tubes. (Well, not really, he's way ahead of me on upgrades but it's funny how close our "vision" is.) We may have to put a little logo on each bike. East Coast on mine, West Coast on his. If we meet at Sturgis and drink at the Chip, it might be confusing. With that said, thanks Piesic650 for the advice and pics. You're a good brotha. Rick / Scoop

Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Yes sir, I like to help when I can! And don't worry I will be at the chip next year for sure!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
kingjj
Intermediate
Default My slice of life

How can you get good sound at 75 mph? Ride in your car going down the highway at 75 and roll the windows down, where did all that sound go? The ear bubs are the way to go, but the ones you get with your Ipod are not the ones to use. Check out Avery sound on the internet, there is some others but it is the ones I used. My first set I bought 4 years ago (still have and use them) cost only $149 (single driver model, I'll be getting the dual driver over the winter) less than the cost of a set speakers, and they block out the wind and most of the exhaust noise (no cost for a different windshield). The are custom molded for your ears, the molds come in the mail with a prepaid postage back. To get the molds formed I went to Miracle Ear, $20. Put a jack for the plug on the lower left side by the glove box in the inner fairing, cost $75. To not have any problems with Johnny Law I run the wire down my left sleeve to the jacket, the only wire exposed is from the end of my sleeve to the jack about one foot away. Now I only use these on long runs not around town. I feel I have much more quality sound than someone who spent a lot more $$ on a system for their bike.

Quick Reply: Need advice with Speaker options for 2012 Road Glide Custom