Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering kits - same ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default lowering kits - same ??

Hi,
Vertically challenged i am thinking of fitting a lowering kit and have 2 questions;
1. does it upset the handling if you only lower the rear of the bike.
2. are all the "kits" basically the same (why some 2 and some 3" kits?)

Thanks everyone.
Rowle - UK

Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 5'6" and ride a StreetGilde. Like you I am "vertically challenged" lol

I installed a Burley Slammer Kit and had my seat reworked to lower me 2". The front is lowered 1 " and the rear 2". The ride, for me; is better than stock.. somewhat stiff rear wards due to the shorten shocks but my seat handles that very well. Handling is better I believe . Some folks prefer air suspension but the Burley Kit works well for me.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

there are lowering blocks, which use same shocks. change the angle but retain full shock travel. some like 'em

there are shorter shocks, stock travel on an ultra is 2.75", streetglide 2". after market has lower available- and the option is there to spend alot of money.

either way, suspension is compromised, handling diminished. some parts may scrape and on some models wiring inside the fender can get chewed up by the tire.

many suggest that the 1st thing to do is lower seat with a narrow nose section which'll allow better foot to ground contact

mike

Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi MKguitar,
yes, just moved from an RK custom with the shorter shocks (as standard) but the new ultra is a little higher.- on tip toes !
Got a great solo seat that lowers me but when 2 up I like to keep the comfy seat for the other half.
Rowle - Uk.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

If you ride solo - you most likly will not notice a difference - Two up - your rider Will..

Iam also 5'6" and 61 - I got my current EG back in 04 - tried the lowering blocks, shorter shocks - I ride two up most all the time.. Wife hated it.. went back to stock - had a Corbin seat made for ME at the CA facory and wear Red Wing boots - no problem..

If I were to do it all over again AND I had a year that would allow ME to install the kit that lowers the seat area - Now thats the way to go...

Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a road6customs lowering kit installed on my FLHT for about a year and its been great 0 problems at all..........handles great too me with about 35psi in the rear shocks.........

Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
rlaf75
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowered my 09rg about an inch with the blocks. It changes the shock angle a tiny bit but it really didnt change the ride comfort any. And besides that, they are way cheaper than a new seat or shocks. In my opinion i would try the blocks first since you cant return a seat or shocks that cost anywhere from 400 to 1k if you dont like them. The blocks cost me 85 and im happy with them

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rowle
Hi MKguitar,
yes, just moved from an RK custom with the shorter shocks (as standard) but the new ultra is a little higher.- on tip toes !
Got a great solo seat that lowers me but when 2 up I like to keep the comfy seat for the other half.
Rowle - Uk.
Hello old chap, from the UK!

One of the challenges for the shorter of us sitting on the taller models is getting past the edges of the seat, so have you considered getting the nose of your seat trimmed, so you can more easily reach the ground? Or just getting used to your bike as it is? I've been riding my stock height Glide for over 20 years and it is fine! I don't subscribe to the recent 'flat-foot' fashion. No I can't flat-foot, even with only one foot.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I lowered my '08 UC 1" using blocks. I don't notice any difference in handling or ride quality. When I first did it I noticed that it would bottom out occasionally on hard bumps especially 2up. I ride solo 99% of the time.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Redmen Rides
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like to hear more comments on the blocks.

Quick Reply: lowering kits - same ??