Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calculated compression ratio changes due to adding MCR

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default calculated compression ratio changes due to adding MCR

After sending out some extra heads for MCR, noticed the MCR's have a pretty deep cavity behind the small hole. Measured it and it was 3 cc's. Went to the big boyz calculator and ran the numbers before and after the 3 cc change and got 10.14:1 before MCR volume change, and 9.85:1 after the 3 cc additional chamber volume due to adding the MCRs. I measured the volume of the MCR's while installed with the MCR's in the engine run position.

So basically, it looks like if you go with .030 head gaskets to get more compression (.025 maybe) but have MCR's put in, you're back to where you were from a chamber side perspective due to the additional chamber volume (aprox 3 cc's in my case).

I understand how MCR's work, and the real benifet is the venting of the chamber pressure while the MCR's are in the open position. But here is another factor to consider when planning engine work.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

120R crate - guesswork ended!

Last edited by 131tman; 10-02-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 131tman
120R crate - guesswork ended!

pretty extreme correction to reclaim .025 of camber compression. 5K for an engine vs 50 bucks for a gasket.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
pretty extreme correction to reclaim .025 of camber compression. 5K for an engine vs 50 bucks for a gasket.

Yes, extreme. Good job!!!
We should all be so direct at over killing a solution to a problem!!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:02 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Post a pic, from your description I just can't visualize how adding compression releases effectively increased chamber volume by 3 cc. How exactly did you come up with the increased volume; math or an actual burette measurement?.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Post a pic, from your description I just can't visualize how adding compression releases effectively increased chamber volume by 3 cc. How exactly did you come up with the increased volume; math or an actual burette measurement?.
I measure the added volume by using a syringe and injecting oil into the chamber of the MCR while the MCR is in the engine run position. I was able to get 3 cc's into the chamber. Of course, the heads are off and I can inject the fluid directly. So you want me to post a picture of a syringe inserted into the MCR hole, with the heads upside down on a table?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

If the machine work for the compression releases was done right and machined for the compression releases that were used, there is no way there would be a 3cc void under the compression release.

A boss is machined into the cylinder head, normally near the spark plug boss and very similar. A hole is drilled into the boss just a hair deeper than the threaded portion of the compresion release; about 2mm, just enough for the release valve to lock in the open position when the release is installed in the threaded hole. The release hole is drilled from the bottom of the boss into the combustion chamber; about 1mm in diameter. Do the math; not anywhere near 3ccs.

Not saying that speakerfritz's measurement's are off but 3ccs is not consitent with the mechanics of installing compression releases. I have never seen a compression calculator that allows for loss of compression due to compression releases; just doesn't add up, 3ccs is a lot when calculating compression.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I measure the added volume by using a syringe and injecting oil into the chamber of the MCR while the MCR is in the engine run position. I was able to get 3 cc's into the chamber. Of course, the heads are off and I can inject the fluid directly. So you want me to post a picture of a syringe inserted into the MCR hole, with the heads upside down on a table?
No I don't need a picture of your syringe injecting oil into the compression release hole, but You can post a picture upside down with the syringe up your *** sideways if you want to. I'm well versed in the procedure for measuring combustion chamber volume, I was thinking more along the lines of a close up picture of the 3cc void that remained after the MRC install. I've read your other posts, you're a mechanical genius, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Maybe try operating the releases in reverse, like your parade fan.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Post a picture upside down with the syringe up your *** sideways. Mechanical genius - try operating the releases in reverse, like your parade fan.
MCR chamber oil injection - leave it to speakerfritz!

Last edited by 131tman; 10-03-2011 at 07:20 AM.