Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-In Skippin' Harmon Kardon POS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
F-In Skippin' Harmon Kardon POS, just started today.
1st glitch?
Funny, I don't quite remember saying that.
Please refresh my memory as to where I said that this was the first glitch?
Sorry, but when you said "just started today" I thought you meant that it "just started today".

Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dump the HK. You can sell it, buy something better, and have $$ in your pocket.

Shakey

Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the skipping problems with my stock radio and ultimately failure from the bar clamp bolts hitting the bottom of the radio casing. Iron Cross repaired and no indication of any problems for over a year and 15k miles. I never really thought of it before but did upgrade both front and rear suspension at about the same time, might make a lot of difference too. When you tally up the cost of a new head unit that is actually ruggedized, speakers, and an adapter that enables the use of stock controls, aftermarket is not necessarily a cheaper alternative to repair.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
For diagnostice assistance, (1) try the "self-diagnostic" sticky at the top of the first page of this Touring forum; and, (2) call Iron Cross Audio.

Carl
I agree here..send it to Iron Cross...it will be better than new.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,345 Likes on 22,639 Posts

I do have the extended warranty so I guess that if it is bad it will hopefully be covered and that be the case, it might start to pay me back, but if I could avoid the hassle I would opt for that..

Oh, and BTW, I did check all the fuses and checked and did not see that it was throwing any codes.. (the unit has ceased to function at all now, it says that it is on but no sound on the CD, IPOD, or the radio, maybe this is what they do when they quit?)

I called Iron Cross and they really did not have much to say except that "yes the handlebar bolts could have caused this."

Last edited by lionsm13; 10-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I might sell it to you.. What's your offer?
If you are set on selling it, put in on Ebay where they usually fetch a decent price. If I were you I would just send it in to Ironcross Audio and have them do their $250 standard repair. They not only fix whatever is wrong but fortify the unit to be more reliable. If you do that, consider an optional rear auxiliary port for an MP3 player if you use one, as that will put the cable out of the weather.

I think these units are underpowered but otherwise well-built, designed to sustain the rigors of a paint-shaker environment. Mine is fine at 49k miles and five years, but the power isn't sufficient for my taste. The remedy is a booster amp and more substantial speakers. I have a HK system and two Clarion CD players in my 16YO car, one single-CD and one carousel unit, and I've had to repair only the former once in that period. Most of the time one or the other is playing whenever I'm in the car.

Bad fairing brackets will kill a head unit, so those should be fixed as soon as they are diagnosed.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Harleybike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 2010 EG Classic used, 1800 miles on it. I noticed the CD skipping after a few days when I tried a CD. Called my local dealer, guy said it's the handle bar clamps against the radio housing. I saw at the beginning of this that there might be a bulletin on this. I am on the way to the dealer in 15 mins to have it serviced, still under warranty. Hope this works. Of course I haven't had a skip in 3 days....

PS: Where do we find the bulletins.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine has been fixed twice.Still a POS.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,345 Likes on 22,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleybike
I got my 2010 EG Classic used, 1800 miles on it. I noticed the CD skipping after a few days when I tried a CD. Called my local dealer, guy said it's the handle bar clamps against the radio housing. I saw at the beginning of this that there might be a bulletin on this. I am on the way to the dealer in 15 mins to have it serviced, still under warranty. Hope this works. Of course I haven't had a skip in 3 days....

PS: Where do we find the bulletins.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-hk-issue.html

Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Harleybike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you

Quick Reply: F-In Skippin' Harmon Kardon POS