Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Replacement

Are there any threads to show how to replace a clutch cable on a 2008 HD? Mine is leaking where it connects into the transmission and needs to be replaced.

I was thinking of doing a diamond braid or something like that. Any recommendations on a clutch cable to use as well?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mr396
Are there any threads to show how to replace a clutch cable on a 2008 HD? Mine is leaking where it connects into the transmission and needs to be replaced.

I was thinking of doing a diamond braid or something like that. Any recommendations on a clutch cable to use as well?
If the search is still down, someone suggested doing a google search and quit a few times it will reference you back to an HDForum site?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

-Get a service manual if you don't have one. This is definitely something you can do in your garage.
-Get the tools needed if you don't have them. You will need a good set of snap ring pliers to do this job.
-Get the cable. I agree with you to go back with a good braided cable. I did that on my old RK.
-Change the cable. Of course they come in different lengths, so get the right length.

To search topics on this forum from a search engine, simply type in hdforums.com followed by your key word or a very short description. You may also put the description in quotes if you want to search for that exact phrase.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an o-ring on the cable where it threads to the transmission cover. All you need to do is replace the o-ring to stop the leak.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,320 Likes on 1,447 Posts

HD Shop Manuals are better than internet how-to threads.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tombeving
There is an o-ring on the cable where it threads to the transmission cover. All you need to do is replace the o-ring to stop the leak.
Agree you also need the service manual to do the job, and many others, right. Replacing the O ring and maybe some teflon tape on the threads might seal it up fine.

If you are firm about a new cable, Magnum makes nice looking cables but the outer clear coating is fragile and easily cut. When I did my bars, got a +2 from Barnett in black vinyl. HD cables are rather pricy like everything else they sell.
Oh and the Barnett are made in the USA.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just becareful when tightening the cable boss and O ring ito the case many have snapped that little 1/4 " boss with such a large wrench required. Sound like its just your O ring though.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Changing a clutch cable on a Touring bike is a pain in the *** and labor intensive. Requires the front fairing piece to be removed, the exhaust removed, the right transmission cover removed in addition to disconnecting the cable at the lever and the mechanism inside the transmission cover and unscrewing the cable housing from the cover. Then you have to get the old cable out and fish the new one in, get it positioned properly and remount everything.

If it is leaking just around the housing where it goes in the side cover, then most likely it is an o-ring. Still requires the exhaust to be removed and the transmission side cover removed, but the cover can be unscrewed off the cable housing once the mechanism inside is removed with a large snap ring pliers. A service manual is pretty much a must.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
diablo69
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to replace clutch, brake, throttle, and idle cables

I've got a 2005 Deluxe with approximately 14,500 miles. I've got no problems other than some cracking and peeling of the black outer coating which covers the actual cables. This is around the head bracket and I just wrapped it in black electrical tape to keep moisture out. Was thinking of replacing all of the cables at one time, but that's sorta pricey. Should I really even consider replacing or just wait until I start having some minor problems??????

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Changing a clutch cable on a Touring bike is a pain in the *** and labor intensive. Requires the front fairing piece to be removed, the exhaust removed, the right transmission cover removed in addition to disconnecting the cable at the lever and the mechanism inside the transmission cover and unscrewing the cable housing from the cover. Then you have to get the old cable out and fish the new one in, get it positioned properly and remount everything.

If it is leaking just around the housing where it goes in the side cover, then most likely it is an o-ring. Still requires the exhaust to be removed and the transmission side cover removed, but the cover can be unscrewed off the cable housing once the mechanism inside is removed with a large snap ring pliers. A service manual is pretty much a must.
What he said. I've replaced a couple of clutch cables and it's a big job. Not that difficult but a lot of stuff has to be removed to get the cable off. A factory service manual is a must.