Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rank Your Favorite 2 up Touring Machine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:32 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rank Your Favorite 2 up Touring Machine

I want to buy a touring bike as a second ride (currently on a FXDWG). I've searched throughout these forums for comments on comfortable 2 up touring but the threads always boil down to radios, cruise control, fairings verus windshields, gauges..... These or just buy a Limited.

I don't care about radios, cruise control, CB, gauges, etc.

What I'm looking for is a machine that provides a comfortable 2 up ride, max mileage about 275 miles per day, with bag space for a 3 day trip to a beach. Experienced comments about add-ons or changes for bag space, seat, sissy pads, etc. would be welcome.

The whole point is a 3 day road trip of up to 800 miles or so with the wife VERY comfy on the back and everything we need in the bags. Anything else is just fluff.

What bike would you choose, what you would change on it, and why?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dynawideglider
I want to buy a touring bike as a second ride (currently on a FXDWG). I've searched throughout these forums for comments on comfortable 2 up touring but the threads always boil down to radios, cruise control, fairings verus windshields, gauges..... These or just buy a Limited.

I don't care about radios, cruise control, CB, gauges, etc.

What I'm looking for is a machine that provides a comfortable 2 up ride, max mileage about 275 miles per day, with bag space for a 3 day trip to a beach. Experienced comments about add-ons or changes for bag space, seat, sissy pads, etc. would be welcome.

The whole point is a 3 day road trip of up to 800 miles or so with the wife VERY comfy on the back and everything we need in the bags. Anything else is just fluff.

What bike would you choose, what you would change on it, and why?

Thanks!
Exactly what I was looking for and ended up getting the EG Classic. The only option mine has is cruise. Which is essential on a touring bike. It does come with a radio and you will probably end up glad it did. But after a few months, you will probably want to upgrade it.

I thought the stock seat was very comfortable for me and the Mrs. but I'm a long armed/legged 6'1" and had to go with the Tall Boy. Not nearly as comfortable and just ordered a Mustang. Tall Boy will be for sale.

The EG Classic is the most stripped down EG offered since they discontinued the Standard. You'll like it. I have been very pleased.

Woolly

Old 10-01-2011, 03:49 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

ultra,happy wife...... seriuosly,u can go with a more stripped down version but if u add back only a couple things your back to the price of an ultra.wifes opinion is the tourback backrest is by far the best and 13 inch shocks give a better ride 2 up.add a tour pack luggage rack and she can put a huge(shopping) bag ontop if that.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
Exactly what I was looking for and ended up getting the EG Classic. The only option mine has is cruise. Which is essential on a touring bike. It does come with a radio and you will probably end up glad it did. But after a few months, you will probably want to upgrade it.

I thought the stock seat was very comfortable for me and the Mrs. but I'm a long armed/legged 6'1" and had to go with the Tall Boy. Not nearly as comfortable and just ordered a Mustang. Tall Boy will be for sale.

The EG Classic is the most stripped down EG offered since they discontinued the Standard. You'll like it. I have been very pleased.

Woolly
Woolly,

How long are your road trips?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:53 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

If I were you I'd do it on your FXDWG.
To make her more comfortable try a new seat and back rest with arm rests and cup holders and floor boards. Maybe get her some tunes.

Me I enjoy the fluff on the UC, especially tunes, cruise, saddle bags, tour pack, and floor boards. 275 miles is a morning ride.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dynawideglider
Woolly,

How long are your road trips?

Thanks!
I just did 280 miles yesterday with a friend just riding through the National Forest and hitting some hotspots. Tomorrow I leave on a five day trip for Arkansas and will end up with around 1100 miles total. It's 341 miles one way to where I will stay. I like to ride all day and sometimes into the night.

Last edited by Woollymonster; 10-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:04 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by piasspj
If I were you I'd do it on your FXDWG.
To make her more comfortable try a new seat and back rest with arm rests and cup holders and floor boards. Maybe get her some tunes.

Me I enjoy the fluff on the UC, especially tunes, cruise, saddle bags, tour pack, and floor boards. 275 miles is a morning ride.
piasspj,

There's no way the WG is going to cut it 2 up for 800 plus miles over 3 days. Roger on the UC, but re-look the OP, forget the tunes and cruise, and think strictly 2 up and bags.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
I just did 280 miles yesterday with a friend just riding through the National Forest and hitting some hotspots. Tomorrow I leave on a five day trip for Arkansas and will end up with around 1000 miles total. I like to ride all day and sometimes into the night.
Woolly,
2 up or alone?
Thanks

Old 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

take the wife to the demo rides try a few models out.i used to say dont want no radio or cruise but now i dont want to go without em.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

My Limited was great for our 1500 mile plus trip last week!

Cruise control,radio and gauges are a must for me.

Much more comfy than my old '06 Road Glide.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 10-01-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Rank Your Favorite 2 up Touring Machine