Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
NATTYLITEGUY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new bike

Havent had a bike in years...Love the new Street Glyde ( really considering the denim black one ). Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for what to look out for, or a " dont let them rope you into this " kinda thing ?
Live in Jacksonville, FL and was at Adamec Harley and thinking about riding to Daytona tomorrow to check out Bruce Rossmeyers dealership to see if the price differs from place to place. Thanks for any tips !!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

welcome to the forums.

take your time, look at a lot of bikes, see what really attracts you.

touring bikes are close to 1000 pounds, so takes some confidence, the dyna series are much lighter, has the same drivetrain, much faster and nimble.
both tour and dyna series bikes have the drivetrain rubbermounted to control vibrations

in the middle are the softail frame bikes- the motor on these is solid mounted to the frame, to control vibration the motor has balancing shafts rotating in the motor.

so three frame configurations with minor changes to fenders, fairings, windscreens and sometime forks.

go look at alot of bikes and see what you seem drawn to, and keep an eye out for the Harley demo fleet visiting a dealer near you, that's the best way to get some saddletime and see what features appeal to you.

--- and consider taking the rider course, get freshened up on your skills and get your head in the game so to speak.

Most of us were self taught riders- and turned out the teacher was crap!

the advanced course can correct some old bad habits.

mike

Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

The best advice I can offer is go test ride one and make sure that's what you want.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

test ride +1, if you get the street glide, get a 4 point docking system not a 2 point. Try to negotiate price disconts for add ons at purchase.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

welcome to the forum from Texas! Be sure to get exactly
what you want, cause if you don't you will spend way too
much money making it what want it to be. I wanted a RK
custom, but I bought a classic and you can see what I
wound up with. Now just as soon as you get your bike,
let us know what you got. We all will be more than happy
to help you spend your money LOL

Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
NATTYLITEGUY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i went to Bruce Rossmeyer HD yesterday in Daytona - I found the black denim Street Glyde ( exactly what I want )....with tax, dealer prep, etc. it was like $24,000. They had me approved through HD financing for $450 a month after I gave them $1000 down. Went out and talked it over with my wife ( she said "whatever you want to do, I stand behind you" ). I was ready to pull the trigger and walked over to a couple I saw getting on a bike, I asked how long they had been riding and if they loved it? Of course, I got the "hell yea, we love it" but then they filled me in on several reasons not to buy from BR. So.....I drove down the road and mulled it over....ended up at Boot Hill Saloon and everyone I talked to, told me not to buy from BR and that I was getting ripped off. Im off to Orlando HD next weekend as thats where the majority told me to go to get the best deal ( they also told me to wait till Biktoberfest is over before buying). That said....Im typing on the computer today instead of out riding Think Im smart for waiting....but damn, felt I was so close! Its a sad day today!!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be able to take the best deal you can find back to Adamecs and see if they will match it. They did for me. Fletcher's in Clearwater was the best deal I could find. Did my shopping via phone and Internet and then back to Adamecs. It's nice to buy from your local dealer as it makes service/warranty issues better. BR has some large fees that help pay for their big dealership. Never have found a deal there.

Oh, welcome to the site!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NATTYLITEGUY
Well, i went to Bruce Rossmeyer HD yesterday in Daytona - I found the black denim Street Glyde ( exactly what I want )....with tax, dealer prep, etc. it was like $24,000. They had me approved through HD financing for $450 a month after I gave them $1000 down. Went out and talked it over with my wife ( she said "whatever you want to do, I stand behind you" ). I was ready to pull the trigger and walked over to a couple I saw getting on a bike, I asked how long they had been riding and if they loved it? Of course, I got the "hell yea, we love it" but then they filled me in on several reasons not to buy from BR. So.....I drove down the road and mulled it over....ended up at Boot Hill Saloon and everyone I talked to, told me not to buy from BR and that I was getting ripped off. Im off to Orlando HD next weekend as thats where the majority told me to go to get the best deal ( they also told me to wait till Biktoberfest is over before buying). That said....Im typing on the computer today instead of out riding Think Im smart for waiting....but damn, felt I was so close! Its a sad day today!!
definitely do your homework first, it will be worth it in the long run

Old 10-02-2011, 05:06 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

How about the dealer in brunswick GA? I stopped in there a couple weeks ago and while they only have a few bikes I think I remember seeing a denim black bike.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try St. Augustine. Much nicer to deal with than Adamec's. Also Gator down in Leesburg is good from what I've heard. Head on over to the FL crew section, lot of good folks in there .

Quick Reply: Buying a new bike