Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide Allergic to Rain it seems...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
After it was fixed and they wheeled my bike out, the service manager said the tech wanted me to know that it was a motorcycle and not a boat.

Ok, that was funny.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
No, but most sane people know to find some cover and wait the worst of it out. But I guess then they wouldn't have anything the whine about.
Sure Einstein, where would you propose to find "cover" on a two lane road with 25-30 miles sometimes between towns? No rest areas or overpasses there. I live in central IL, not FL, no retirement homes or gated communties every 5 mile around here. If I come to some accessible cover, I don't hesitate to use it but, once your soaked, pulling off doesn't really accomplish much. It doesn't bother me to ride in the rain. I bought mine to ride, not to sit in the garage and look at just to be able to sell it 3 years later with 1500 miles and brag to potential buyers that "it has never been riden in the rain".

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
I"m the one who's allergic to rain, not my SG! If the forecast calls for rain, then the SG stays under the carport and I stay put. Bad things happen in poor driving conditions. It's one thing to get caught in it, but to intentionally go riding when the forecast is rain? Not my thing.
Cause we all know the weathermen are spot on. I watch the radar closely to see the track of weather and usually will not ride if the forecast is 40% or higher. If it is a work day and the hourly forecast indicates the rain is supposed to move thru while I'm working, I'll ride no matter the forecast. However, one of the worst rains I ever got caught in was a sunny Sunday afternoon with a 10% chance of precipitation. Got wet riding to work just last week with a forecasted 0% chance.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 09-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word Meteorologist is an acronym for lying bastard that really doesn't know ****!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:58 PM
hwork
Cruiser

I got caught in the rain sunday as well. I had the same problem with accelerating, it would bog so bad that I was worried that it was going to die. What kind of air filter do you have? I have the HD heavy breather and I assumed that it was getting too waterlogged even with the rain sock on it.....

Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Harleydaddy
The word Meteorologist is an acronym for lying bastard that really doesn't know ****!

I think the title was derived from a latin word that means "you have a better chance of correctly predicting the point of impact of a meteor".

Only job in the world where you can be wrong 70% of the time and not have to worry about getting fired. (Well, except politicians).

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by Rickr01
The sputtering is usually associated with the Throttle Position Sensor plug located right behind your air cleaner. Pull it apart and put in some dialectric grease. If you want to be proactive, do the same to the ECM plug.
Ain't that the truth,ask me how i know?? Going down the highway at about 80mph, & suddenly no throttle response!!! Next I'm trying to get out of cars way,before i get creamed!!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 AM
xtek95
Advanced

Originally Posted by hwork
I got caught in the rain sunday as well. I had the same problem with accelerating, it would bog so bad that I was worried that it was going to die. What kind of air filter do you have? I have the HD heavy breather and I assumed that it was getting too waterlogged even with the rain sock on it.....
Hwork...I have the SE Ventilator on, and the "rainsock" was in place.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 AM
xtek95
Advanced

Forgot to mention that when the sputtering misfire incident occured it was associated with the distinct smell of burning electrical wire....i took the next exit, checked my lights, all good...then continued another 50 miles home. The misfiring eventually stopped, and i got home safely. Just not the sweetest ride i've ever been on.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM
phat_ridegt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Sure Einstein, where would you propose to find "cover" on a two lane road with 25-30 miles sometimes between towns? No rest areas or overpasses there. I live in central IL, not FL, no retirement homes or gated communties every 5 mile around here. If I come to some accessible cover, I don't hesitate to use it but, once your soaked, pulling off doesn't really accomplish much. It doesn't bother me to ride in the rain. I bought mine to ride, not to sit in the garage and look at just to be able to sell it 3 years later with 1500 miles and brag to potential buyers that "it has never been riden in the rain".
Amen to that! I don't purposly ride in the rain, but sometime it happens. Several occasions i've been caught on the back roads of central IL but the rain never amounted to a torrential downpour.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't know...I've ridden my '09 Street Glide in some serious rain and have never experienced any issues like the ones described here.

Quick Reply: 2011 Street Glide Allergic to Rain it seems...