Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
BD, first off I'm happy to hear that you are able to tell us about your situation... could have been worse.

While not my scoot, I was struck from behind (no, not gonna say rear-ended) by another motorist. My truck was damaged, but not totaled. In dealing with the insurance company I was unhappy with their settlement... until I mentioned treble damages. Don't know if it applies in your state. After that they agreed to the figure I suggested.
Treble damages??? What is that I have not heard of it before.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggestDawg
Treble damages??? What is that I have not heard of it before.
Treble Damages
It is tripling of damages by certain state statute,which vary by state.It applies in certain cases like not making good on a bad check or intentionall refusing to pay rent. Treble damages are intented to punish the guilty party and discourage others from similar behaviour.

I'm not sure you could use this in an uninsured motorist situation.
You'd be sueing the kid with no money. Not the insurance comapny.

Sorry about this happing to you. You will not like what the insurance comany is going to offer on a bike that old.
They won't care how great a shape it's in. Only the year and model.

You can take the money they offer to total the bike, then buy the bike back for 40% that price.
This is a good option for a guy who was at fault for his own trouble, then put used parts on to fix it.
But you're in a bad situation for you being innocent of the whole ordeal.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 09-30-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggestDawg
As far as I know the tab where the engine guard attaches is torn. Thing is it will need to be welded. The problem with that is that welding will change the properties of the metal so I'm not sure that it's a good idea at this point. It's a lot to think about.
Similar here but it was a deer that ran in front of us.
Same tab is torn and MOCO won't let it be welded if fixed in one if their dealerships (before y'all jump me 6 dealers all said same story) have to replace the frame.
Good thing is with the frame replacement it is considered a frame up resto concerning history reports on resale.

Figured what the heck get some other stuff done while it is apart and they really can't hit me for increased labor since it is all torn apart anyway.

Hope all works out OK for ya.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry to hear of your situation, but great to see youre able to talk about it. FWIW, not sure in your state but here in cali if they total the bike and you buy it back and fix it they change the title to a salvage title, which means you cant trade it in and its worth like 25% of its value. You might want to look into it.
Was the kid a minor? if so maybe you can sue his parents or the owner of the car! Just sayn!