Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gogogadgetbiker
I also recently went through a total loss. The first offer "thats exactly what it is" from the Insurance Company was $15000, after a 45 minute phone conversation we settled at $19750 "I started at $20000. Be willing to negotiate and they WILL see things your way. If they can't settle with you over the phone they know it will end up in court and that is a VERY costly process for the Insurance Company.

As for rebuilding the bike, depending on what is wrong with the frame you may be able to fix it. I fixed my frame "bent under-trans cross member, bought a paint set off ebay, and scoured the classifieds for everything else. In the end I have right at 3K real money in one bad *** road king "that counts a Quadzilla Fairing and King Tour Pack."
As far as I know the tab where the engine guard attaches is torn. Thing is it will need to be welded. The problem with that is that welding will change the properties of the metal so I'm not sure that it's a good idea at this point. It's a lot to think about.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggestDawg
As far as I know the tab where the engine guard attaches is torn. Thing is it will need to be welded. The problem with that is that welding will change the properties of the metal so I'm not sure that it's a good idea at this point. It's a lot to think about.

...that tab got welded on at the factory, as did lots of other parts of the frame, the whole frame is a bunch of welds, so that in itself would not be a reason they total it, on the 09 and up frames, the frame is much stiffer, and a lot less repairable. The biggest reason they would total the bike, is the age of it. Between parts and an average labor rate of probably $75.00 p/h, it won't take much to get the numbers high enough to total. Most ins. co's will total a vehicle when the repair costs reach 70% of value...good luck.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The very reason we all have to pay premiums for uninsured motorists is due to these pukes like the moron that cause this one. It infuriates me that we have to underwrite this crap. Anyone who operates an uninsured vehicle and causes a crash should go away, and set an example for the others. The legal system needs to come down hard on this, but of course that's wishful thinking.

Good luck with your situation ... my first thought was it will never be the same bike, but it's your call. Glad you're still here to make it.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Words --- Gap Insurance. I get it on every vehicle or bike, I purchase. Covers cost between what the insurance company gives you and what you owe on the loan. However, your bike might have been paid for. I have had to use the Gap insurance before and it worked just like it is designed for. My son decided to roll, a perfectly good SUV and totaled it. He came out with scrapes and scared to death, I would kill him. Gap insurance saved his ***.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar1959
Two Words --- Gap Insurance. I get it on every vehicle or bike, I purchase. Covers cost between what the insurance company gives you and what you owe on the loan. However, your bike might have been paid for. I have had to use the Gap insurance before and it worked just like it is designed for. My son decided to roll, a perfectly good SUV and totaled it. He came out with scrapes and scared to death, I would kill him. Gap insurance saved his ***.
Probably drives like his Dad! I know my boys do what I do, not what I say! Unfortunately they don't have the experience to drive like us.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sue him for the difference. You'll win.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron750
Probably drives like his Dad! I know my boys do what I do, not what I say! Unfortunately they don't have the experience to drive like us.

You don't know the circumstances, on why he rolled the SUV.

Last edited by Cougar1959; 09-30-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:30 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fxstbharley2008
may be get a lawyer + sue him........
Originally Posted by Maclugie
Sue him for the difference. You'll win.
You think a kid that does not have insurance has money?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get well soon.

The next time you're on a scoot, I hope its everything you want and it brings a smile to you face.

I had an incident like yours a long time ago with my (then) prized camaro. Non-insured jack-a$$ ran his bald tired POS into the back end of my car at 60 mph in a rain storm. I was fully insured, including underinsured motorist policy. My company paid for everything and then they went after the guy. I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but some of us have been through it.

FYI...My camaro never made it back on the street. I still owe that dude a punch in the gut for starting that whole mess.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BD, first off I'm happy to hear that you are able to tell us about your situation... could have been worse.

While not my scoot, I was struck from behind (no, not gonna say rear-ended) by another motorist. My truck was damaged, but not totaled. In dealing with the insurance company I was unhappy with their settlement... until I mentioned treble damages. Don't know if it applies in your state. After that they agreed to the figure I suggested.

Quick Reply: Total loss