Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:03 PM
cdem02
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: progressive shocks

I ran progressive HD412's on my honda sabre, e-glide, and now my roadglide. I used a 1 inch lower shock on each model to get me closer to the ground. Great investment for ride quality.

Chuck

Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 PM
baron3547
Cruiser

Progressive shocks are much better than Harley stock shocks, but, there is a better shock than the progressives. They are called "Works Performancel "Steel Trackers DRS/ARS " and they perform alot better than progressive 440's. They are awesome shocks but the down side is they are more expensive!

There is a night and day difference between the 440's and the Works Performance shock. I am not saying that progressive shocks are not good because I have progressive shocks on my current bike and they are alot better than stock shocks! But the Works Performance shock rides like a "Cadillac" compared to the Progressive shock. This is my opinion after having both shocks on my bike.

Either shock is going to be better than the Harley stock shock.

I hope this information is useful to you. Ride safe!

Old 11-24-2006, 04:32 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John
I have heard as many complaints about the 440s as I have heard praise how good they are, Was up in the air on what I was going to do, Started looking around and found Works Shocks and though I would call them to see what they would recommend after talking to them for about 10 min went ahead and ordered them. The one thing that I liked is they have a Dual rate spring and threaded preload so once you get the bike set your done no going back to adjust the pre load like on the progressive.
They also ask how much you weigh and you riding style said they custom make them for you ( don't know how much of that is sales tool) Guess it will be spring before I can try them out.

Charlie

Old 11-24-2006, 06:05 PM
screemnjay
Cruiser

I've installed a number of 440's, and depenent on pre-load they all will clunk, and again, they have no rebound damping. If you want a good riding, high performance shock, the Works are FAR superior to the 440's.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: roadglide65

so once you get the bike set your done no going back to adjust the pre load like on the progressive.

Works shocks still have variable preload for varying riding conditions.

I have heard a lot of good things about Works & I may try a set of Steel trackers myself.

~John

Old 11-24-2006, 06:36 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: screemnjay

I've installed a number of 440's, and depenent on pre-load they all will clunk, and again, they have no rebound damping. If you want a good riding, high performance shock, the Works are FAR superior to the 440's.
I have an '05 RK Classic with the stock air shocks and was thinking about the 440's also, but now I'm interested in the Works units from what I'm hearing outta you guys. I have a couple questions.....

The works are not air shocks I take it?

What length would I order if I want to drop the rear an inch?

Also, we ride 2 up quite a bit and with my wife on back we weigh in around 450lbs. Would I be getting into a bottoming out problem by going away from the air shocks? Right now with the stock units I never bottom out.

Thanks in advance....

Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

I have an '05 RK Classic with the stock air shocks and was thinking about the 440's also, but now I'm interested in the Works units from what I'm hearing outta you guys. I have a couple questions.....

The works are not air shocks I take it?

What length would I order if I want to drop the rear an inch?

Also, we ride 2 up quite a bit and with my wife on back we weigh in around 450lbs. Would I be getting into a bottoming out problem by going away from the air shocks? Right now with the stock units I never bottom out.

Thanks in advance....
The Works are not air shocks, your RK has 13" shocks & you can order the Works in 12".

I just called Works to see about ordering a set but they where closed. They must be closed for Thanksgiving because I called during normal business hours.

~John

Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 PM
roadglide65
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jmorton10

ORIGINAL: roadglide65

so once you get the bike set your done no going back to adjust the pre load like on the progressive.

Works shocks still have variable preload for varying riding conditions.

I have heard a lot of good things about Works & I may try a set of Steel trackers myself.

~John

Yea they do have a threaded preload but if i understood him right the only thing it will do is raise or lower the ride height. Guess i need to get them in my hands first to be able to talk about them.
Charlie

Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 PM
roadglide65
Tourer

Like John said the stock shocks are 13" they have two differant spring rating 400# and 500# the best thing I can tell you Is to call them and tell them what you want and they will build them for you. http://www.worksperformance.com/

Look under Street Bikes and then the Street Trackers.

Charlie

Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Great,I will call the Works Monday.Has anyone tried the Progressive 416's?

Quick Reply: progressive shocks