Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reach seat on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
oldguyriding
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reach seat on Road King

Has anyone put a HD Reach seat on their Road King with heritage handlebars? I put heritage handelbars on my 2011 Road King and I like them, but I still need to get more flat footed at stops. Anyone with experience with the reach seat? Will it put me too close to the handlebars? Any other seat suggestions for the inseam challenged?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not positive, but I think the reach seat moves you forward more than it moves you down. May have to go with lowered shocks if reaching the ground is the issue. And unless you have really short arms, it may put you too close to the bars. Without knowing your reach, and inseam, it would be tough to say.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Reach seat on my 2006 FLHTI.

Danny is right, the change is more forward than down.

I wouldn't recommend springing the dollars for one if you are looking for less ground clearance.
On another note, it helps your spine to sit more straight up and would be helpful if you find you get a knot inbetween your shoulder blades on long rides.

On my present cop bike, I put one of those cheap ebay rear lowering kits on it. 2 choices for adjustment and I have mine on the higher one and I am comfortable with it @ 5'6", in addition to removing my air ride seat (which was super high) and putting a RK seat on it without the passenger pad.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Limit
Cruiser

I lowered the rear end and sent my seat to MCC. I didn't like the reach seat.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
mtinner
Road Master

I've put a reach seat on my Road King and the others are right, it pretty much just moves you forward. I bought it mainly for the back support and it's great for that. I can ride lots more miles now than I could before. Maybe a Harley dealer will let you try one out for size before you buy. Good luck to ya.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'6" and have a '10 RKC with the Danny Gray Speed Cradle solo "reach" seat, and heritage type bars. I also have the SG shocks, which lowered the rear a bit. It still wasn't enough for me, so last winter I intalled a Progressive Drop-in "lowered" spring kit. The bike fits me perfectly now. I opted to skip the HD reach seat for the very reason others mentioned above.... it moves you forward, not down.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

I took my seat to my local upholsterer. Cost me 100 dollars to remove about 2 inches of foam. Waited for about 2 hours and told the person my exact specs. Having a Road Glide Ultra, I am not flat footed but I am more stable and more secure.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,711 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I put a low profile seat(C&C)on my King. It's lower but a little hard for touring, not bad for around town.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 PM
NewfieHarley
Cruiser

Here's a goofy thought... I don't know what your typical riding footwear is, but try something different. I used to wear a dedicated riding boot, but lately have been wearing high quality work boots. Had them there anyway, wore them once, loved it, won't change. I've also found that it makes the ground a tad closer, knees are a bit more bent than before, and I didn't shed 400$ on a seat... Just a thought...

Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a HD reach seat on my 2010 Road King and it definitely moved me down and forward as advertised. I understand that the 2011 RK has a lower stock seat than the 2010 so the reach seat might not lower you much more on a 2011. Try logger boots with a bigger heel. That the cheapest way to get flat footed.

Quick Reply: Reach seat on Road King