Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Warning Device

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,325 Likes on 8,403 Posts
Default Deer Warning Device

I bought a pair of them from Wally World today. I'm not wild about having them on my Ultra but the deer are everywhere in my area. Several of my friends have been seriously hurt and one died.

How many of you use them and where on the front fender did you put them?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's been a few threads about these devices on a few forums....and to my surprise...they actually do not work....i pretty much accepted that they did...but upon investigating...the general consensus is that they don't work.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:40 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

They are kinda like the Guardian Bell, if you believe they are working then good for you. Lots of study's done on these things and most say they are like snake oil.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 6,374 Likes on 1,873 Posts

I hate deer.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found this on the web....
--------------------------------------
"A pair of eyes caught in the headlights. A stab at the brakes. A sickening thud. A deer careens off your car and lies twitching on the side of the road.

Avoidable? Yes and no. Yes, if you slow down and drive cautiously where deer crossing signs are posted or you suspect the animals may be feeding. No, if you rely on animal warning devices called "deer whistles," according to researchers and state police.

Deer whistles, mounted on the fronts of cars, trucks, and motorcycles, allegedly produce ultrasonic frequencies and/or audible sounds from the wind rushing through them. These sounds are supposed to repel or warn animals, particularly deer, elk, moose and dogs, of oncoming vehicles.

The manufacturers claim that two European studies proved that the whistles work. Not so. They were initially tried in Europe about 25 years ago but research did not prove them to be successful. Now they are being sold in the United States with European claims. The study from Finland, which the advertisers refer to, states that from all of the experiments conducted "it was unsure that the animals were not disturbed by the approach itself, so that the whistle sound was the only disturbing factor." The second study from Switzerland concludes that the whistling sound, which is well within the human hearing range, is so weak that it is overlaid by the noise of the moving vehicle. A scientific advisory panel from the World Society for the Protection of Animals states, after extensive review, that there is no known data "that shows that such devices can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device."

Even if the devices were effective, they would soon become clogged with insects and dirt (since they are mounted on the front of the vehicle) and would stop working.

The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work.

The odds are you won't hit a deer. Your best protection is to drive defensively, particularly as the sun sets. This is when most vehicle/deer accidents occur. Slow down when you see one deer. More often another is right behind it.

Until there is some solid evidence, other than personal testimonials, that deer whistles are effective, keep your money in your pocket."

Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

If you do decide to use them be very careful not to mount them backwards.

Knew a guy who did that, had an entire herd chasing him for miles...

Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

One year I hit 6 deer in the same jeep, replaced 4 OEM bumpers, last time I put on a big tube bumper push bar, never had another deer encounter. To my knowledge nobody makes a big cow catcher bumper for the motorcycle, best bet is to be conscious of the cooling weather and increased deer movement, slow down a little and get a better headlight which will reflect eyes a little farther out to give you some more reaction time

Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger

Avoidable? Yes and no. Yes, if you slow down and drive cautiously where deer crossing signs are posted or you suspect the animals may be feeding.

The odds are you won't hit a deer. Your best protection is to drive defensively, particularly as the sun sets. This is when most vehicle/deer accidents occur. Slow down when you see one deer. More often another is right behind it.

[/I]
I wouldn't rely on postings. They only put them where high incidence of deer hits are reported, and most people don't bother reporting. Some of the worst areas near me are not posted. Also June is a high month for deer hits, as young uns are kicked out on their own, and a lot of movement occurs. So be most careful in October, November and June.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Deer whistles don't work.

This does.

Last edited by shooter5074; 09-28-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Cool

I use the deer warning device made by Vance and Hines.
Inattentive drivers seem to take notice as well.
Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Deer Warning Device