Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Warning Device

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I do is drive during peak deer movement hours. These whistles are a joke at best. if a deer hears them and is startled then the deer is going to head for the last place were it felt safe. You do not know were that safe spot was. it could be back across the road infront of you.

A deer can hear change jingle in your pocket from over 100 yards away. They can easily hear ANY vehicle running down the road without the vehicle needing special devices.

Your best bet is to slow down during peak movement times. The only way to not hit a deer is to not be on the road.

I have never hit a deer that I have seen. I have rolled down the road not letting off the go pedal as the deer were standing in the ditch looking at me. If I see tails in the air then I back off the go pedal.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, Look what was in my email today from Geico;

Driver Beware: 7 Ways To Prevent A Collision With A Deer
Printer Friendly

A Crash Course On Deer Collisions

By Nathan Erb

Deer mating season can be a dangerous time for drivers, deer and car hoods. According to the Insurance Information Institute, 1.6 million deer-vehicle collisions occur each year, resulting in 200 fatalities, tens of thousands of injuries and over $3.6 billion in vehicle damage.

Being prepared can help prevent you from adding to these statistics. When driving this fall, you should:
1.Watch for the rest of the gang. Deer are pack animals, and rarely travel alone. If a deer crosses in front of you, chances are there are more nearby. Slow down and keep an eye out for more deer darting across the road.
2.Timing is everything. Deer are most active at dusk and dawn: periods when your vision is most compromised. To add to their terrible timing, deer are on the move during mating season (between October and January) when you’re more likely to travel after the sun sets. Slow down and stay alert, especially after dark.
3.Wear your seatbelt. It may not prevent a collision, but if the inevitable happens a seatbelt can reduce injuries. This is especially true if you lose control and collide with something bigger, and more stationary than a deer.
4.Take a moment to reflect. First, look for the road signs. The yellow diamonds with the deer on it are placed in high-traffic areas for deer. You may also spot a deer because their eyes will brightly reflect a car’s headlights, making them easier to spot.
5.Stay Center. On a multi-lane road, the center lane is your safest bet for avoiding a deer collision, as long as your local traffic laws permit it. This gives deer plenty of space; and in case your vehicle does startle them, it gives you more time to react if one darts onto the road.
6.Stay the course. If you see a deer, brake firmly and calmly, and stay in your lane. Swerving could make you lose control of your vehicle and turn a bad situation much worse. Not to mention, deer are unpredictable, and you could swerve directly into their changed path.
7.Honk! Some experts recommend that one long blast of the horn will scare deer out of the road. Do not rely on hood whistles or other devices designed to scare off deer — studies have shown them to be largely ineffective at minimizing accidents.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
chateau
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok , personal testimonial. I live in no. Ar. 100 mi. east of Fayettville , Awesome rally this past weekend by the way. I installed mine on the bottom of the front fender and have seen them on the bottom engine guard mounts. On " numorous" occasions I have witnessed deer come to attention and stop in their tracks when they hear me coming,( bike is not loud). Yes you do have to keep them clean , mounting them low helps with that. They are not expensive, sure they may not stop a doe being chased by a buck , but if they stop that one deer that would have ran into my path, well , need I say more?