Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Warning Device

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Used them for yrs and at work I used them. Investigated many deer vs auto accidents and the vehicles equipped with them were always plugged with dragon-fly's, etc.

I only ask....what if they worked just ONCE!

I use these: http://www.deerwhistle.com/index.html

Last edited by Holster Maker; 09-29-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
I hate deer.
Deer taste good! Have more of it than beef in the freezer. I work a lot of deer accidents and I don't have the deer whistles on any of my vehicles......FWIW.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 AM
racersg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them on my 86 model. I think they are deer calls instead of a warning device. A goat bell will work better.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I wouldn't rely on postings. They only put them where high incidence of deer hits are reported, and most people don't bother reporting. Some of the worst areas near me are not posted. Also June is a high month for deer hits, as young uns are kicked out on their own, and a lot of movement occurs. So be most careful in October, November and June.
Up here in upstate PA, the deer are kinda rebellious --- they don't pay attention to the deer crossing signs at all. They cross wherever they want. I've gotten a couple off the road by twisting the throttle. Hit a deer once in my car, with those whistles on.

Also, I've been lucky enough to hit only 5 deer in 3 different cars my entire life, but NONE of them were at sunset. 10 a.m., 4 p.m., 9:30 one night. They can be anywhere at anytime. I DO agree with 1 thing though --- October's the worst. Once the shooting starts in November, they're outta sight for awhile.

Last edited by Geezr Glidr; 09-29-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
I bought a pair of them from Wally World today. I'm not wild about having them on my Ultra but the deer are everywhere in my area. Several of my friends have been seriously hurt and one died.

How many of you use them and where on the front fender did you put them?
They don't work with deer but they do a great job with elephants. I've never seen one cross the road in front of me

Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to do a lot of rideing at night in the boondocks. I had the stereo cranked way up and would see the deer lift their heads and watch me go by. Never saw one take off running.

On my Sportster with loud drag pipes, that deer ran in front of me and put my *** in the hospital.

I don't think the loud pipes do much, other than startle them. Why it ran at me, instead of away, is anybody's guess.

Time of day? About 3 in the afternoon, 5 in the morning and 1130 at night was when I have killed them.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

An oldie but goodie.

http://youtu.be/A6VS6qsLJeY

Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

As I have previously stated, even if you see the deer and the deer sees you, the deer may still commit suicide. As in the video, there is no reason for the deer to exhibit this behavior. Probably trying to rejoin the herd.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Deer whistles don't work.

This does.

I have one just like that !!! Keeps the critters off my property.... from a long way off!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
Used them for yrs and at work I used them. Investigated many deer vs auto accidents and the vehicles equipped with them were always plugged with dragon-fly's, etc.

I only ask....what if they worked just ONCE!

I use these: http://www.deerwhistle.com/index.html

Got a question for ya there, Holster Maker....just who is it that goes out and teaches the deers to run away from them there whistles? And while we're at it, why couldn't I just whistle to the little deers myself? I'm a pretty good whistler and know several good tunes that I think the deers would enjoy.

Quick Reply: Deer Warning Device