Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phat Performance Parts: Cobra PowrPro Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

As Phat Performance gave me such a good deal on the PowrPro by doing this test for them, I figured I could afford an hour of dyno time, if nothing else just for sh*ts and giggles. So my lady and I headed to our dealer a hundred miles away today to have them run an information dyno on our '06 Ultra. As a baseline, a stock '06 TC88 has 59 hp and 70 ft/lbs of torque, measured at the rear wheel.

My bike, as tested today, has a SE air cleaner with K&N filter and a Boyesen X-Wing, cheap modified stock Road King mufflers, Andrews 21G cams, and now the Cobra PowrPro.

Before doing anything else, I had the tech check the a/f ratio. After 1100 miles, the PowrPro had the a/f in cruise mode set at approximately 13.4 . (I don't know what a Stage One download on an '06 would have been, but with the PowrPro it's definitely running richer, and definitely cooler, which would also indicate a richer cruising mixture).

Now the interesting stuff started. The tech did five full throttle runs up to the rev limiter, which turned out to be 6150 rpm. The first run produced 73.28 hp, and 78.65 ft/lbs. Immediately doing a second run, the PowrPro added much more fuel (red line), and the results dropped to 72.24 hp and 77.61 ft/lbs. At this point the tech was wondering what the heck just happened.

The third, fourth, and fifth pull the PowrPro kept adjusting the a/f, and the results were 72.81/78.11, 74.77/78.67, and 73.97/76.98 , respectively. The fourth and best results is the top line on the a/f graph.

It sure appears to me that the PowrPro is doing exactly as it is advertised. Not only does it calculate fuel needs instantly, but also stores the past results in its memory to calculate future similar throttle inputs, to give the best a/f mixture instantly. By the fourth and fifth pull, the a/f mixture at "cruise" had dropped from 13.4 to 13.0 .

One of the things I "thought" I noticed previously, and now have proven to myself by looking at this dyno report. While in cruising mode (steady throttle), and then rolling on the throttle, I was pretty sure I could feel a small surge of power as the PowrPro came off cruise mode and into acceleration mode. It feels like I suddenly turn the throttle another quarter inch. Notice the a/f mix graph. When rolling on the throttle, there is a sudden richening of the a/f mix occurring between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I believe that is when the cruise mode is changing to the acceleration mode . This doesn't happen just at WOT, but happens any time you roll on the throttle more than "just a little."

My total gains over stock have been 15.77 hp, and 8.67 ft lbs of torque. I was disappointed at the lower torque figures--I was hoping to get up to 80. My tech recommended getting rid of the cheap modified mufflers. After doing this test for Phat Performance, I feel confident that I can change out the mufflers to something better and the PowrPro will adjust, just as advertised.

But look how the Andrews 21 cams put the torque right up there already by 2500 RPM, just as Joe Minton wrote about.

Below is a thumbnail of the dyno chart that will enlarge if you double click on it.

Attached Thumbnails Phat Performance Parts: Cobra PowrPro Test-dyno-sm.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
PhatAnthony
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the dyno results!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Your very welcome, Anthony!

Today, I received a thank you email, direct from Cobra, for doing this test.

Hello,

Wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write the product evaluation on our new tuner, we thought that you did a awesome job relaying the results to the end consumer. I wanted to see if we could get your blessing to add your test to our web site as an honest testimonial for a retail customer. Please let me know your thoughts on letting us do that..

Thanks again..

Dave Cullinan
Cobra USA

My reply:

Dear Mr. Cullinan,

I would like to thank you and Anthony from Phat Performance for the opportunity to have done this for you. I continue to “evaluate” my Ultra’s performance each time I ride, and I have not found one negative to report. The PowrPro responds instantly to throttle input, and my gas mileage, which was an initial concern when it first dropped substantially, no longer is a concern, as I’m now getting anywhere from 41- 44+, where previous to installing it I was at 42-46. Am I correct in assuming that was probably because the majority of my first few miles was at WOT ? ! The only problem I still have now is keeping my hand from rolling on the throttle to just enjoy the new found power. We’ve had a wonderful fall and I’ve been able to now put on over 1500 miles since installing the PowrPro.

I’ll continue to peridically update the thread on hdforums, although our riding season in Mn is rapidly coming to a close. I’m really looking forward to our next vacation, when we’ll be crossing the Rockies again next summer on the way to the west coast. I’m anxious to see how my bike runs next year, as compared to this year when we went to the Grand Canyon and back, and yes, I’ll report my findings at that time as well.

You certainly have my permission to use this test and my name in your marketing, as I certainly appreciate the ‘deal’ I received from your company to do this.

Most sincerely,

Alan Peterson
Marshall, Mn.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-12-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM
benzo
Advanced

Thanks for ur info. Good to know that there is another option other than the usual PC for tuning. I love cobra products and have never ran into anything negative about them. Thanks again!! Great write up.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM
PhatAnthony
Banned

Originally Posted by benzo
Thanks for ur info. Good to know that there is another option other than the usual PC for tuning. I love cobra products and have never ran into anything negative about them. Thanks again!! Great write up.
The best part is you get to plug it an leave it. No need to download a new map or get the bike tuned again if you decide to install/replace/remove other parts.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay, responding to an email about this "deal." Phat Performance, a couple of months ago, asked for a couple of Harley riding volunteers to do a test of the new Cobra PowrPro tuner. It's no secret, Anthony put it right out on a thread here in hdforums....$200 for a PowrPro in exchange for an honest review.

I responded. But, and that's a big BUT, I had to pay up front the entire cost of this unit, but was promised, in writing, a refund for the difference after the review, positive or negative, was posted here on the forum. I received my credit as promised after I posted my honest review. He and Cobra took a gamble, but so did I. But no matter what the result was, I was still out $200 !

Cobra and Phat Performance lived up to their promise, as did I. If there is anything, and I mean anything, negative to report, I will report it. So far, it's been great. My initial concerns with a dramatic 5 mpg drop in gas mileage have now been negated as the unit has adapted to my riding inputs and I'm within 1 mpg of what I used to average (I have tracked my gas mileage since new.)

For those of us who are 88.9% computer illiterate, this tuner is a godsend. I mean that sincerely. Plug it in, ride and smile. I believe 99% of us are looking for this very thing.

Do a Google search for Cobra PowrPro and see what other riders on other brands of bikes are reporting using this new technology. Then you'll know I'm not blowing smoke up your exhaust.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Cold weather has now hit Minnesota, and yesterday I started the Ultra and went for a ride in 40 degree temps. The bike ran normally throughout the warmup.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

With the mild winter we're having in Minnesota, I had another opportunity to go for a ride. I continue to marvel at how well the Ultra is performing. Today, the air temp was 54 degrees....no other changes have been made to the bike since the PowrPro was installed and my previous video, but I gained another 10 mph. Whether that can be attibuted to the air temp or the continuous use of the PowrPro, I don't know.

I rolled it on at 100 mph in fourth gear. From my seat, the tach peaked at 6,000 rpm and the speedo at 120 when I shifted to fifth. I also tested the speedo against the GPS app I now have in my Droid X cell phone, and it reads about 3 mph fast at any given speed.

I didn't take the time to get a straight on shot of the speedo, but you can see what it did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aQUG-GT7e0

Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Lone Rambler
Cruiser

Thanks for the update !!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
quickster47
Club Member

Thanks for such a great and honest review. And from reading what you have published I'm convinced and going to order one for my 2012 Street Glide.

Carl

Quick Reply: Phat Performance Parts: Cobra PowrPro Test