Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stouts or Monster Rounds.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:31 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stouts or Monster Rounds.......

So here I am, back looking at exhaust for the bike. Currently have V&H Twin Slash Ovals, and Power Dual Headers. Like the sound a lot, but am getting stretched bags next week and the Ovals won't fit. So.....the quest continues.

Kind of have it narrowed down to Supertrapp Stouts or V&H Monster Rounds. I like V&H products. Solid reputation of fantastic products. Unfortunately, they don't really have an "in between pipe" that is round (and chrome). So I believe the High-Outputs are out of the question because they are loud. Twin Slash Rounds sound good, but I'm not crazy about the look of a slashed down and streched bags, not 100% against it, but I think straight or slash up look better. But the Monster Rounds look great, sound good, but are just a "lil" quiet. Not sure if they "drone" like Monster Ovals do. Hopefully they get louder after a few hundred miles. I don't want a "loud" pipe but I want something that barks on the throttle and can make some noise when I want it to.

Supertrapp Stouts are just beautiful. I dunno, that endcap gets me. It looks so good tucked in stretched bags. The clips I've heard have a great tone to them. Deep and rumbling. I would take 96db of deep even tone way before 100+dbs of pitchy and cracking sound. They advertise it as a "quiet pipe", but after talking to the Yaffe reps, they really open up on sound when the packing comes out. So that leads me to think that after a few hundred miles they should sound real nice. Or I could put a "thinner" layer of packing in to allow more sound out.

Other pipes I'm considering are Klockwerks WFB (but I don't know if they will be long enough to work with stretched bags) and Bassani megaphones (lots of baffle choices and they are long)

What are your guy's thoughts?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I was about to say High Outputs until I read that you think they're too loud. Saw & heard them on a SG last week, with stretched bags. Thought they sounded great, but they WERE kinda loud. I have Rush Big Louies on my 103 LTD Ultra, with a 2.5 baffle. Nice big bagger sound, but not so loud (even when twisting it) that nobody wants to ride behind me.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my brain telling me I should look for "quieter pipes".....I love the sound of loud pipes, but I do want something I can go on trips with and that people will ride behind me with. I must be getting courteous in my old age or something.....

I DO really like the sound of the V&H H/Os, deep and nasty, but just wondering if they might be too loud for long trips. Honestly they were my first choice, and part of me still wants to get them. I also know that with their open design, they would not be the "best" performing pipe, but when I want more power I'm going to go with cams and a big bore. IMO, the H/O pipes are some of the best looking pipes out there, especially under stretched bags. Just concerned about the noise, especially after a cam goes in it.....

I dunno.... H/Os are still not "out of the running", anymore success stories out there?

I also like the Rush sound too. Big Louies with 2.25" baffle may be the ticket. Can't find a whole lot of pictures of them actually mounted on bikes though. I wonder if the "slash up" will line up with stretched bags.

Thank you for the input. Keep it coming.

Last edited by hougz79; 09-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.