Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow so quiet (wind noise)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Wow so quiet (wind noise)

So, in preparation for buying my "winter shield" I put my stock 12" shield back on to see where It would sit with my Road Zeppelin seat and to figure what height to order.

I gotta say the stock shield is sooooooo much quieter then my 9.5" clearview recurve. so much less wind noise, I can hear my tunes and my pipes much better.

With the Road Zeppelin, I now look over the stock shield, but going up hills the top still gets into my line of sight. So I ordered a 15" Memphis Shades, so I will look through it all the time. I know the tall windshields kinda look dorkey, but who knows after the cold weather riding with my new tall shield, I may be a convert.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 09-26-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
So I ordered a 15" Memphis Shades, so I will look through it all the time.
I am thinking about a taller shield as well, been looking around, didn't even consider the MS, only because it did not come up in my Google search initially.... Just curious - why did you choose the Memphis over the Clearview or Cee Bailey or a Freedom Shield? I think these are the only ones I could find that even make a 15" or taller shield.

TIA for your opinion!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep Us posted on how well the 15" shield works for You. I've thought about getting one Myself, The top of My 12" get in My line of sight too.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

A buddy of mine who rides a lot of miles swears by his 14" shield. I run the stock 12" with no problems and my seat is cut down pretty low where I look just below the top of the shield. The only time I wish I had a shorter shield was in a group ride in light rain on a dirty paved road when all our shields got covered with brown water and everyone was having visibility problems, it would have been easier to wipe off my helmet shield than reaching over the windshield to wipe

Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
I am thinking about a taller shield as well, been looking around, didn't even consider the MS, only because it did not come up in my Google search initially.... Just curious - why did you choose the Memphis over the Clearview or Cee Bailey or a Freedom Shield? I think these are the only ones I could find that even make a 15" or taller shield.

TIA for your opinion!

There are a few main reasons I went with Memphis, first id the gradient colors you can get at the bottoms, and second, I used Memphis on my other bikes and found the company to have AWESOME customer service. I had both the fats and their batwing on my VTX, and I had slight issues with both, the fixed 'em without batting an eye, after warranty was way out. I was also afraid that a recurve on the top would distort my vision and lastly my Clearview is cracked at the center mounting hole (cant see it when mounted) this shield wasn't even on for a whole season, just kind of made me shy away from them. (I still need to contact them though) Didn't even look at cee bailies, and Memphis was less then freedom, National and clearview.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 09-26-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Good info!

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
There are a few main reasons I went with Memphis, first id the gradient colors you can get at the bottoms, and second, I used Memphis on my other bikes and found the company to have AWESOME customer service. I had both the fats and their batwing on my VTX, and I had slight issues with both, the fixed 'em without batting an eye, after warranty was way out. I was also afraid that a recurve on the top would distort my vision and lastly my Clearview is cracked at the center mounting hole (cant see it when mounted) this shield wasn't even on for a whole season, just kind of made me shy away from them. (I still need to contact them though) Didn't even look at cee bailies, and Memphis was less then freedom, National and clearview.
Thanks for info SteelerDude - appreciated! :-)

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.... I Replaced my stock 12" with a Clearview 10.5" Recurve. With the HD Tall Boy seat installed, my line of sight is about one inch above the top of the shield. Wind noise is less than the sock shield. The recurve really does throw the air a few inches higher than the stock shields.

Most of the turbulent air I get now is coming from under the fairing. I verify this by putting my heels up on top of the engine guards with my knees tucked in by the gas tank. Try it. Very smooth and quiet. I am going to try a set of fairing wind deflectors to see if that helps. May also add some lowers for this winter. Pricey though.

I don't like a windshield that I have to look through. More times than not, after riding all day and collecting every species of bug in TX, I end up staying out later than planned. That bugged up, grimy shield gets real tough to see through at night. Add some mist or rain to the mix and now you are practically blind in the headlights of oncoming traffic.

Be careful.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:54 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
Hmmm....

I don't like a windshield that I have to look through. More times than not, after riding all day and collecting every species of bug in TX, I end up staying out later than planned. That bugged up, grimy shield gets real tough to see through at night. Add some mist or rain to the mix and now you are practically blind in the headlights of oncoming traffic.

Be careful.

I don't like looking thru one either. I just cut 2 inches off the stock shield and have been using that since 08. Seems to work just fine.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Just to throw it out there for anyone who may be interested. Our recurve on our shields have zero distortion when looking through them. The Stealth does however with all of its extreme curvature. We do only make our shields up to 12", but do guarantee our shields from cracking at the installation holes, which can occur mostly from over tightening, but can also happen from a lot of use. High speeds, high winds for thousands and thousands of miles can take its toll on the mounting points. Although it's rare, it does happen, and we replace them when it does.
Some like to look through the shields feeling there is more protection, but as most of you know, our recurve design is designed for you to look over. Any road grime or rain can not obscure your vision, and you are protected as if you are looking through it.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 9 1/2 Clearview windshield for 3 years. I upgraded to a 10" Aero from fast Aire http://www.fastaire.com/Aero.html

The sides are straighter to the top than the Clearview which makes it wider at the top.
This reduced the wind noise in my ears a lot.

I see Long Ride Shields has what they call a "Flat Top Ultra" which does the same thing with a recurve. http://www.longrideshields.com/flattop.html

Quick Reply: Wow so quiet (wind noise)