Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIA electical problem, could use any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PIA electical problem, could use any suggestions

Riding down the road @ 70 and I get 2 seperate gliches of lost power. Came right back but speedo drops to zero and back, then of course the lurch as it kicks back up. Went a few miles then at stoplight it died but restarted. At home, took the seat off, started the bike and started trying to jiggle wires. Ground under the seat, harness under handlebars, anything I could think of. Bike was still running. Took it out for another short ride and of course, no issues.
I know electircal can be a pain, just looking for experience on similar issues to maybe help pinpoint OR ideas to save taking the dang thing apart. Relays, is there a way to check before they fully crap out if this could even be part of the problem? I am not a bike mechanic but not afraid to get my hands greasy/dirty.
Folks here have helped me more than once so thought I would try my luck again.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Did this occur after you or somebody did some work on the bike? Especially if you had the bars or switch housings off. If so I would look around the area that was worked on. But first make sure your grounds have a good connection. I always put never seeze on frame ground bolts so they dont rust, dielectric on plug connections, etc. Perhaps you washed or pressure washed your bike the latter being a no no, water gets everywhere and causes corrosion. Just a few ideas.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Joe,

Take a leaf out of bagman1's book and mine, and post details of your bike in your sig, then we won't have to ask what your bike is!

Your problem sounds rather like one I had some years ago, when the ignition sender started giving problems, before eventually failing completely.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Contacts on the ignition switch (faulty ignition switch), stop/run switch faulty or pinched wire, crank position sensor to name a few possibilities.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it ain't broke, you can't fix it.
Intermittent problems are the hardest to track down.
Over time, the problem will become 'less intermittent', which is good and bad, making it easier to find, but will usually rear its ugly head on the wrong day at the wrong time.
But hopefully for you, it will be in your driveway with your tools close by.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will read and get my post updated. It's an 05 Road King. No work on her since last winter and no power wash. Only hand wash. I will check out the switches on the right housing. Figure I will risk it and ride to work tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks all and if anything else pops into your head, fire back.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Joe,

Take a leaf out of bagman1's book and mine, and post details of your bike in your sig, then we won't have to ask what your bike is!

Your problem sounds rather like one I had some years ago, when the ignition sender started giving problems, before eventually failing completely.
Is it really necessary to know what type of bike it is? I mean we can compare similar problems but.... well you know. My old camaro did the same thing on the hwy didn't throw a code and never happened again.

Another question would be did it just die or did it sputter, in other words gas or electrical problem. Just saying you vehicle died is quite enough. Although with the speedo dropping it does sounds electrical. But I will defer to DAWG.