Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoie helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoie helmet

Anyone using this helmet?
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....m%20R&h=11&t=1
Opinions please.
Gary

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been wearing this helmet for nearly a year now. It's the Cadillac of 3/4 helmets. It ventilates well, is very comfortable and top quality.

I had another identical one prior to this one and had to replace it after a car turned in front of me and took me out. The helmet saved my life i'm sure. I was knocked out cold for about 30 minutes and still have NO recollection of the event even after two years. After a life flight ride and two days in the trauma center with a concussion I'm as good as new other than some road rash scars on my hands.

This is an outstanding helmet, the best of it's type IMHO...

Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great lid. Just bought the RJ Platinum for my wife and have been wearing an RJ Air (predecessor) every now and again since 2000 that's due for replacement: I typically wear a Multitec on my daily commute for all-weather suitability.

The RJ Platinum "fixes" all of the things that were lacking in the RJ-Air, e.g., removable liner, better ventilation, better chin strap, better materials, and less buffeting at speed.

As soon as the bike shows come to town I'll pick up a new one for myself and chuck the old one, which is probably past it's shelf-life even though it still looks as good as my wife's RJ-Platinum.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best 3/4 helmet i ever had.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Shoei makes a great helmet and the size runs true to what a HJC does. I've got this one and "wore out" a J-Wing. They quit making the J-Wing without coming out with an alternative model and I just happened to stumble across one at half price from Dennis Kirk a few months ago. I wear a 2X and Helmet City told me the Arai was sized like the Shoei & HJC - NOT! The Arai in s 2X was almost too tight to get over my head... Sent it back in a flash. For my money, you can't beat Shoei, plus it DOT and Snell approved.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Although I haven't tried their 3/4 helmets, I've used a Shoei X-9 in the past (retired) and currently use an X-SP. Both are full-face and as comfortable as I believe could be possible for such a design.

I'd like to get an X-11 or X-12, but can't justify spending the money as the one I have now is still fine.

If they fit you right, nothing beats the Shoei "X" series (ARAI is an alternative if your head conforms to their shape).

Have you had a chance to try the ARAI 3/4?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 AM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great helmet. I installed the J&M communication headset and speakers in it as well. I will say that on my first longer ride, I got some rubbing on my forehead...had to use the old mag light and press the front padding some. Overall, a satisfactory buy.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Got one and have been wearing it for two years now. Good lid, comfortable, great ventilation.

m.a.c.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best 3/4 helmet I have ever owned.
If you buy one make sure you get the correct sized cheek pads, this can make all the difference in a good fit.
I bought mine from The Helmet Shop, best price I could find and great service.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Any Shoei helmet you buy, you can't go wrong. I have be wearing a Multitech for 2 years and won't ride without it.

Quick Reply: Shoie helmet