Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud are V&H Fishtails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How loud are V&H Fishtails?

I am currently running Screaming Eagle slip-ons on my 02 Road King Classic that were put on when the bike was first purchased 10 years ago (older SE slip-ons are louder than current ones). I just purchased the bike from the original owner and want something louder and deeper. I like the look of fishtails and have had good experience with Vance and Hines in the past, but have never heard their fishtails in person. Just wonder how loud and deep they are from those who have them. How do they sound compared to SE slip-ons? I have youtubed a very videos but gone give that good of a sound byte.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I don't use youtube to judge tone.

too many variables in the recording/compression/ coding/expansion/playback/speakers/bandwidth etc.

have you considered turn downs muffler tips?

turn downs reflect sound from the pavement back to the rider, can be a nice experience for some riders, not all the sound shoots out the back

mike

Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 PM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on what cam you are running. A cam makes a big difference in exhaust tone......

Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 PM

I have the V&H Fishtail II slip ons with my rush true duals... They are not as loud as the rush 4" Big Louie's that the PO had on there, but I had to have fishtails LOL, I love the looks, love the awesome quality with full 220° chrome heat-shields, and while kinda loud, have a unique sound (I took out the baffles and wrapped them with wood stove door gasket rope to give them a fuller more mature sound)

Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

How loud are the fishtails compared to other popular slip-ons like Rineharts, Screaming Eagle, etc?

Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have them on my 01 EGC. As was mentioned you exhaust note is the sum of the total mods you have.

They sounded different when I still had my crossover tube but are now slightly deeper and louder with my FullSac true dual conversion kit.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 PM

Mine are probably comparable to the rineharts in volume, the actual exhaust note is unique when you have fishtails... if you want LOUD fishtails, go for the Samsons, but they do not have full coverage heat shields like the V&Hs that is 1 of the more important reasons I chose the V&H Fishtail IIs .

Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

I like the idea of full coverage heat shields, and I have had good luck with V&H in the past so I'm leaning towards the V&H. When you say unique, can you attempt to explain that... (yes I understand how difficult of a question that is). I like the look of fishtails, but have never heard any so I'm a bit perplexed (at around $450 for a set of slip-ons its a big gamble).

Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on my softail. It has true duals and is a stock 88. It is loud to say the least and really gets your attention at full throttle above 3500 rpm. I wouldn't consider it a deep rumble but more of a loud crackle. I have had complaints from people behind me but not alot.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There isn't much for baffling, The description of crackle is a pretty good one. Even with my stock cat headpipe they're on the louder side.

I've heard with no cat the fishtails + optional quiet baffles are just right- not too loud, decent tone. I tried quiet baffles in mine and it was too wheezy for my taste.

Quick Reply: How loud are V&H Fishtails?