Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D407 Wide White = 20,505 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default D407 Wide White = 20,505 miles

Replaced the rear tire on my 2010 Road King while I had it in for the 20k service at 20,505 miles. It was starting to look like a drag slick with tread on the sides, but I really can't complain at all. It never started to wander and I recently drove it in the rain on the way home from work, again no wandering. I thought about replacing it a few thousand ago, but it still showed tread and wasn't doing anything that made me believe that it was needing to immediately be replaced or was unsafe.

The Dunlop D407 is expensive for the "bar and shield" stamped into the side, but was actually less expensive than having the indy install a Dunlop American Elite. He wanted more than the HD stealer here in Corpus Christi. I hate to say it, but I have to give this contest to the guys at CCHD. They even came in $100 less than they originally quoted me over the phone for the total bill, I still can't figure that one out and I had them replace the air filter and complete the annual inspection while they had it in the back.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, I got 15.2K on my original D407 rear and have 16.5K on the second one and still have 5/32s left. Im gonna run this one quite a bit longer. Just did the 408F front at 31.2. I do almost all the maint myself but the local dealer does a 20% off on tires and a $50 install and I've been working long hours so had them do it.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer

I haven't measured the front tire, but it is still going strong and will remain on the bike for sometime to come.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to ask. Did your high mileage tires howl when cornering? I'm approaching 15K miles and the outer edges are cupping which causes the howling. I am curious as to how you guys prevented this or if you just ignored it. Thanx in advance.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OEM tires on my '09 Ultra Classic had 4/32 tread when I pulled the wheels and tire off with 16,000 miles for new chrome Limited wheels and a new set of OEM tires. I have been very impressed and pleased with the ride and service of the original tires.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes these tires for the '09 and up models get spectacular mileage. Even though more expensive, they give such dramatically higher mileage they'r actually not more expensive when you figure that in.

The first two rear OEM H-D tires each gave me 20,000 miles.

This current tire is a Dunlop American Elite which was cheaper than the H-D version when i got it in January of this year. I now have 17,600 miles on this one and it's ready for a change. The tips of the tread in the middle have just faded away in the past day or so. It will end up with about 18,000-18,500 by the time it gets changed next week. This is great mileage.

My '05 EGC got 15k out of a rear tire at most. Sometimes 13-15k, so this is definitely great service for a motorcycle tire.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to hear

Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my original 407 rear and its at 19K i am trying to see how many miles I can get outta it. I have 1/32" left and i am gonna get that thin layer of rubber off that tire for sure. The way i see it you only need maximum grip when you lean and the tire is like new on the sides, the slick surface in the middle may only cause a problem in the rain if your clowning on it. I have a new set of Dunlop Elite B/W tires sitting in the garage. I am wondering if the 407/408 tires are causing bearing issues due to the cupping on the edges. When I lean the bike screams like a wolf.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer

Originally Posted by springer 03
I have to ask. Did your high mileage tires howl when cornering? I'm approaching 15K miles and the outer edges are cupping which causes the howling. I am curious as to how you guys prevented this or if you just ignored it. Thanx in advance.
Springer, it didn't howl, but I could hear some sound back there. I didn't experience any cupping and to be completely honest with you I never checked the tire pressure either. I did have a 56 mile commute (almost all highway) one way that gave this bike 100% of its mileage as highway. I know for a fact that this most likely added to the mileage I got out of it. CCHD uses nitrogen in all of their new bikes and in their tire changes, which is also supposed to aid in less air loss. I didn't abuse the tires and they certainly gave me a good return with the mileage and handling manners.

Quick Reply: D407 Wide White = 20,505 miles