Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pak or TFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts
Default fuel pak or TFI

I know this TUNER thing is way too deep of a subject for me, but I wanted some opinions.....

When I bought the bike new I got the stage 1 download at by the dealer along w/ the SE A/C and SE Nightstick. Since then, I got V&H Dresser Duals w/ Rinehart 3.5". Nothing has been done as far as the tuner is concerned.

My bike seems to run VERY hot, although it doesn't have the decel pop nor knocking.....

I was leaned towards the Dynojet Power Vision, because I like the fact that it actually REPROGRAM the stock ECU. I also like the fact that I can adjust the idle rpm....(I miss the OLD HARLEY's idle sound!!)
B
ut at the same time, because I don't THINK I will be modifying the motor itself, would it be overkill??

So I started to look at less expensive alternatives.....

Fuel Pak/ TFI??? Or should I just get PowerVision (of something of that level of tuner) in case I change my mind and do some cam change, etc....

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

First of all, you wasted $150 on that stage one download. It's still lean and that is why you bike is still hot. My advice to you would be to install a fuel management system that will adjust the calibration automatically. There are several choices out there, PC 5 with auto-tune, Revolution Performance Precision, Thunder Max, etc. My preference is the Rev Performance product. It uses wideband Bosch O2 sensors and maintains the closed loop system integrity. It also preserves your stock ECM and all of the control and safety features. Good luck with your tuning choices/decisions.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Tried fuelpak not a fan of it Have power vision and so far liking it but I'm still a rookie and just bareley scratched the surface of it's capabilities

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM
gwfirefighter
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.i had a fuel pack.I was having trouble when I washed the bike My throttle would cut out and get engine codes.The dealership couldn't fix my problem.Installed a PCV due to engine upgrades and have not had any more issues.I wish I would have got the power commander from the start but I was trying to save a little money.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have tried several tuners but the one I use now and like best is the PowerVision. You can get good maps from either DynoJet or FuelMoto and you can adjust many things in the ECM including idle. I don't think it is overkill at all. I have a 2008 FLHT with Screamin Eagle HEavy Breather Air cleaner and Jackpot Dynotuned exhausts. After tuning with the PV, the bike runs cooler, has better performance and gets good mpg. As another poster said, the stage 1 download still leaves you at 14.6 AFR which runs very hot. With the PV you can adjust the map to suit your riding style. Check the PowerVision thread in the Tuner section.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Thanks!

I was happy to hear that some of you guys are happy with Power Vision. I was actually reading about it and liked the fact that it is a flash tuner and the capability of adjusting the idle (newer Harleys don't sound like the old school Harleys at idle at all!!)

I think I'll save the $$ to get me the PVand not to go with "let's get something not too expenxive for now" route.... We all know that we end up spending more bucks that way!

Thanks again for you guys inputs.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not planning any internal engine mods - Went with the FuelPak LCD on my 2011 RKC and it sure worked for me. Had the V&H techs tweak the setting and mine runs cool (gutless header) and FAST (like a scalded dog!).

Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by fjoh
When I bought the bike new I got the stage 1 download at by the dealer along w/ the SE A/C and SE Nightstick. Since then, I got V&H Dresser Duals w/ Rinehart 3.5". Nothing has been done as far as the tuner is concerned.

My bike seems to run VERY hot, although it doesn't have the decel pop nor knocking.....

I was leaned towards the Dynojet Power Vision, because I like the fact that it actually REPROGRAM the stock ECU. I also like the fact that I can adjust the idle rpm....(I miss the OLD HARLEY's idle sound!!). But at the same time, because I don't THINK I will be modifying the motor itself, would it be overkill??

So I started to look at less expensive alternatives..... Fuel Pak/ TFI??? Or should I just get PowerVision (of something of that level of tuner) in case I change my mind and do some cam change, etc....Any input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't say that the Power Vision tuner is overkill but would say that it's not necessary to cool down your Stage I motor. You won't find many fans of tuners like the FulePak or Dobeck TFI on this forum but I happen to believe they have a place for guys that:

1. don't intend to upgrade the motor beyond BB kits.
2. don't want or can't afford to spend $500-$800 on a sophisticated fuel management system plus another $200 for a dyno tune.
3. don't want to devote the time and energy to learning the more sophisticated systems.
4. want to tune their bikes without a computer and/or paying for dyno time.

Much like those of us with carbed bikes still do; rejet the carburetor which the "fueler" type tuners can do. IMHO, the Dobeck systems, Gen 3 or Gen 4 (Gen 4 includes an AFR meter) are the best of the fueler type tuners. Sure, some guys outgrow a DFO/TFI if/when they make the decision to install cams with more than .500" lift, ported heads, more compression. While the stock ignition map is OK for a Stage I build, those modification really require timing adjustments that are beyond the capability of a fueler type tuner. That's good for guys like the OP that are looking for a Dobeck DFO/TFI because they can be found on Ebay for $150-$200.

Dobeck has decent customer service/support and the user can DIY install the system and play with it until satisfied. The HDTalking forum has a section devoted to TFI users and settings with a lot of good information.

You will get suggestions to consdier the FuelMoto PC package. FuelMoto offers a PC package for about $250 that will come pre-mapped for your motor's configuration; a very reasonable option for a Stage I configuration. However, it is often the case that the map will not be quite right; minor stumbling off idle, decel popping, etc. You can send the unit back to Fuel Moto and they will tweak the map but it won't be right until you get the motor on a dyno. So, you have to add anothe $300 to the initial expense of the tuner. Still, not a bad way to go but a long way from the current state of the art systems like TTS Mastertune or the Thundermax.

At the end of the day, you have to ask and answer yourelf, honestly, about how far you intiend to take your performance upgrades; how much money do you want or can you spend; do you have acess to a competent dyno tuner; are you compouter literate; do you want to get hands on with an electronic jetting system; etc. You are the only one that can really make the call.

If the decision is to go wiht a fueler type system, IMHO, the Dobeck systems are the beat in that class. Good luck1

Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 PM
rlaf75
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the fuel pak on my 09 rg and 06 superglide. After a ton of motor work i did on the superglide i had to remove the fuel pak due to its tune-ability limits, or lack there of. Needed to have it tuned with the race tuner from hd. My 09 roadglide with only a stage 1 air cleaner and slip ons still has the fuel pak on board. Not much tuning was needed with that basically stock set up. I have approx 20k on the rg with the fuel pak. Still runs good but ive noticed that im starting to get the popping on decel. I am looking into a power commander or something similar because of the mileage i have on it with the stock O2s. Obviously as the motor is broken in more the sensors and computer will need to compensate. The fuel pak after programmed to the bikes particular specs wont compansate as needed. The power commanders and similar will always make the adjustments in real time as necessary.