Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metric curise or Ultra classic othere then price

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:04 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metric curise or Ultra classic othere then price

hello There ,Im looking for toureing bike and the altra classis is on my list , How will they compeer with the metric bikes , I own a 1400 metric . Other then price .thank You Spirit.,

Old 07-15-2005, 05:34 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Metric curise or Ultra classic othere then price

I take it your currently riding a Suzi 1400 Intruder. If this is the case your talking Apples to Oranges. The 14 is a torque bike, no top end even when its been staged. Don't get me wrong I have many many friends that own/ride the 14 and they love them, its just a completely different bike than the Ultra. The Ultra is a Tour bike, good power stock but a tour bike just the same. It will shake at idle but smooth out on the R's. The 14 has that constant buzz in the bars that can be annoying. Both bikes get approx the same fuel mileage low to mid 40's. The Ultra can tour but is just as at home riding in town and won't wimper at continuous hiway speeds in excess of 75mph. Of course you can load way more on the Ultra. Maintenance is not a big issue on either bike, nor is reliability an issue for either (well besides the bad 1400 clutch).
Now compared to say the Yami Venture or Honda Wing? The Yami is a good bike, limited aftermarket upgrades but sufficient. If it breaks down you'll be waiting on parts a long time. The GoldWing is an oversized Cafe bike. I've owned 2 both great machines. They wil carve the twisties with any bike. Of course they have had some frame issues of late and the riding position is cramped as compared to a cruiser style bike ie Ultra/Venture. There have been several good shootouts comparing the HD, Wing, Venture. The HD came out on top in every one I have read (do a search for motorcycle Cruiser Magazine online). Venture costs approx $16k, Wing $18k, and Ultra $25k... But the Ultra is the only one that comes standard with ALL the toys. Adding those toys to either of the metric tour bikes will put you in the same $$$ category as the Ultra. Hope this helps....

Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM
rgerber
Road Master

And it may be safe to add to Tims thoughtful post one more thing!

There is truly something very special about a Harley that just can't be duplicated with a metric, any metric IMHO! Is a Harley for everyone? Of course not! Is a metric for me? Of course not!

Old 07-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And a Harley holds its value.I do'nt know much about Metrics due to the fact, Harley is the only bike that interest me.IMHO Harley Davidson is either in your blood or it's not and if it is you'll know it.I meen no offence to you at all but this is probably not the best place to compare the two because we are all addicted to Harleys and are pretty bias.Just my 2 cents.

Goodluck!
Craig

Old 07-15-2005, 06:33 PM
jlacasci
Tourer

Finally a post that I might be able to answer!!!

First, I'm a FIRST TIME Harley-Owner, was never a fan, in fact, wasn't impressed with 'em for the longest time. I'm still young just 41 and been riding since I was 16. I've owned crotch rockets, and then moved up to the Yamaha Virago and finally in 1999 the Yamaha Silverado. Been following Harley for some time, but in 99 when I wanted a cruiser, Harley just didn't cut it for me. I loved the look, but some honest folks I knew that had owned both metric and Harley knew that I wasn't a fix-er-upper kind of guy and at the time in their opinion and what I could glean out of every mag I could get my hands on, I decided to go with the Silverado. Low and behold the Silverado one awards two years in a row for what it was.... Then the Harley came along and started kicking but in 2001...

I'm the kind of guy that upgrades/trades in, or buys new every 4 - 6 years or so and have been taking a beating on the metrics every time I did it. My Silverado was a 1600, in mint condition, many extras and low mileage. I had been looking at Gold Wings, Harley and Yamaha Venture. I decided last year that I didn't want the Wing, and was going to go with the Venture Midnight Speacial (I did like the Ultra, but have had such good luck with Yamaha). They only wanted to give me 4,000 on a trade in!!!! The bike was mint, only 8300 miles... I paid 12,300 for it, had 2300.00 in extra's on it. Well, I said forget it. Harley had come a long way (IMHO yea I know I came to the game late)... Now some folks will say "Buy what you like, not for trade in or resale value" That's fine, unless you are like me and know that you WILL be trading in down the road. In that case, the resale does matter, at least to me.

To make a long story short... I LOVE MY ULTRA, perhaps more than I would the Venture. So many options and I think I'm the only guy walking into the Harley Dealer with a smile on my face when I buy other parts. The Yamaha chrome and accessories is nearly 3 sometimes 4 times more than a Harley item!!! Yes really! 1 quick example: chrome caliper insert on a Yamaha for the Silverado 49.95 for two of them, 6.75 each for Harley!!!!!

Anyway, I'm not sorry I crossed over to the Harley, been very happy with the bike, the dealer and the experiance but still have a lot of respect for the quality of the metrics as well.

Joe

Old 07-15-2005, 06:44 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Aftermarket supportablity in 4 years will be way better on the HD than any metric...food for thought.

Mac

Old 07-18-2005, 01:51 AM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't believe there is even a question. HD all the way!! With no regrets!!!

Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

awh crap not again!! this is a harley forum buy a damn harley!!!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Harleyboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always figured if I rode anything but a Harley.....I'd have to apologize for riding it. I LOVE my Ultra!!!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
SCBGR
Cruiser

I own a FLHT and a Suzuki 1500 cruiser. Both great bikes but the HD is a much better touring bike and will give you all the things you expect with a HD. Value, aftermarket toys, good service plus chicks dig em. Cruiser magazine did a comparison on Yamaha Venture, Goldwing and the HD Ultra a couple of years ago. (Still available on their site) And the Ultra came out ahead in most catagories. At the end of the day you will be much happier with the HD.

Quick Reply: Metric curise or Ultra classic othere then price