Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Module install on 2010 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 PM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CB Module install on 2010 Classic

I am helping a friend install some parts on his bike, one being the CB, but have run into a snafu. Got all wires installed, module mounted, but the CB is not working. When we press the Comm button it gives us the "see dealer" message. I was told the intercom requires a head unit flash to work, but I was under the assumption the CB did not require this. The instructions didn't mention a flash either...

Any suggestions before we head to the dealer?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when adding the CB to a HK system
Additional Parts Required
Intercom system flash (Part No. 76441-06DT) as stated in the install directions for # 77108-09 aka BAMI Kit (Boom Audio/Music/Intercom kit) The intercom only works when the CB Module is present so intercom/CB requires the flash.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the cb module on my 10 classic and did not have to do the dealer flash. I got lucky I quess.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The download is for the intercom function. IIRC, when I installed the BAMI kit w/ CB on my bike a couple of years ago, the HK recognized the CB before I took the bike to the dealer for the intercom download.

Included in the wiring between the CB module and the HK are CAN + and - wires which tell the HK that the CB module is present; same CAN + and - wires are used for the XM, NIM, and Ipod modules for which no download is required.

You don't mention the bike model or year of the installation. If it's a 2011 or newer CVO SG, there are some unique wiring issues presented compared to the other models where a non-Ultra overlay harness is used and the various connections (rider headset, PTT, CB module, etc.) made.

Carl

Old 09-21-2011, 04:32 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

@mtnsnow - I saw that in the intercom instructions, but not in the CB install instructions. Unfortunately my friend ordered the first set of parts without consulting me first... second time around I spoke with the parts section on the phone and got the rest of the kit.

@sh57 - I installed the iPod module on my 09 Ultra no problems, it popped right up, but I am assuming it all depends on how the head unit comes from the MOCO. I also installed the quick disconnect for my tour pack, read the rear speakers were not quick disconnect, but fortunately mine was already setup that way rom the factory... another luck of the draw

@Harleypingman - I did mention in the subject... 2010 Classic (EGlide). Followed the instructions to a T... no such luck. Perhaps this deck needs the flash.

I still need to install the intercom stuff and the speaker switch (up front), but if nothing happens after that the bike needs to go to the dealer for the flash anyway, so that might fix the problem. Thanks for all the inputs

Old 09-21-2011, 06:29 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told by the dealer that if I installed the CB module myself I would still have to have the radio flashed before it would work.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

You'll be going to the dealer for the intercom flash so a dealer visit was always in the cards. Whether installing the speaker switch, etc. will make a difference I don't know; let us know if it does or not.

What parts are you installing? I ask because some have purchased the BAMI intercom kit, 77107-09, only to later decide to add CB which then requires some different parts to make the CB work. If you're using the non-Ultra overlay harness, then everything should be plug and play.

Good luck with the project.

Carl

PS: My bad on forgetting you gave the model and year in the thread title.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Spoke to Tony at Iron Cross Audio today about adding pre-amp outs from the HK, and asked about the CB issue in this thread. No download is required for the HK to recognize that the CB module is connected since the CAN + and - wires let the HK know that the CB module is there, same as the XM, NIM, and Ipod modules. A download is required for the intercom function.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ictghost (03-18-2024)