Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a Skinny 5'10" Dude.. Would Shocks Be Effective?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm a Skinny 5'10" Dude.. Would Shocks Be Effective?

Wondering about putting rear shocks on my RK.. I'm 155 lbs. I don't carry a ton in my bags.. Wondering if it's pointless to get rear shocks, or if it would be highly noticeable. Anyone with similar weight have thoughts, reviews, experience, opinions?

Thx..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get a set made to match your weight and riding style, then yes.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you trying to do? Change the height, the ride?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

I'm fine with the stock height, just looking maybe at changing the ride. Maybe a more performance orientated ride. I don't know because I've had no other, but people say the stock shocks are junk.

Originally Posted by doghair
What are you trying to do? Change the height, the ride?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 Totally agree. Seems like you've done some nice stuff to the bike! Upgrading the suspension makes sense.

Contact Howard at motorcyclemetal.com (he's a forum sponsor) and you'll learn a lot about what some custom shocks can do for your ride.

Originally Posted by eathomps
If you get a set made to match your weight and riding style, then yes.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
I'm fine with the stock height, just looking maybe at changing the ride. Maybe a more performance orientated ride. I don't know because I've had no other, but people say the stock shocks are junk.
I keep hearing the shocks are junk but have not found that to be true for me. I weigh about the same and don't usually carry tonnage either. I'm short on top of that so I have the SG shocks on the rear. Found the air shocks change enough to cover me. I run about 20 normally but can set them anywhere from zero to 40 depending on what I'm doing.

Just free $0.02

Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 AM
who?me?
Cruiser

I am within a couple of pounds of you, same height. I don't run any air in my shocks and the ride suits me fine. It's a Road King not a sport bike.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
petewerner
Road Captain

Have you looked at the shock relocation parts to lower it with the stock shocks? It gives u new holes for the bottom of the shock to relocate it which gives u a hole that is farther away from the top than the stock position. I have lowered mine by 1" which is actually 3/4" at the seat. I have yet to drag anything much differently than I did before hand. Nothing, hard riding it really only showed the running boards rubbing just like before, but I don't run 10/10's except on rare occasions and then I should be backing off instead of trying to fly....

Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There are tons of shock threads on here. What comes out of them is that many riders are happy with the stock shocks, especially solo. For those who want a better ride with improved comfort there is a trap! There are many alternative shocks out there and it is tempting to buy cheaper ones in the expectation of getting a better ride, but that doesn't always happen.

If you want to improve your comfort and handling, get good quality shocks, custom built for you and your weight. bigdaddy33 and I have both gone down the Ohlins route, courtesy of Howard at Motorcycle Metal. If you want to learn more, simply search the touring forum for 'shocks', but get a long drink first!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doghair
I keep hearing the shocks are junk but have not found that to be true for me. I weigh about the same and don't usually carry tonnage either. I'm short on top of that so I have the SG shocks on the rear. Found the air shocks change enough to cover me. I run about 20 normally but can set them anywhere from zero to 40 depending on what I'm doing.

Just free $0.02
Not for me! The stock air suspensions are complete junk front and rear. I have changed the front to RaceTech and I'm waiting on the rear from Howard (motorcyclemetals). I have tried every adjustment in the air pressures I can and they still suck and I feel every bump in the road. I guess they are fine for some, but I ride a lot and I just have to have better and I'm half way there on my FLHT, hurry Howard!

Quick Reply: I'm a Skinny 5'10" Dude.. Would Shocks Be Effective?