Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?

All,

Anyone with the Supertrapp 4" Stouts, I'd appreciate some help. I just received mine today from the Brown Santa and am in the process of installing them. I have the right side on, and before I put it on I looked down both ends of the pipe. I noticed that if you look through it just right you can see a tiny bit of daylight, I MIGHT be able to get a thin yardstick through it if I tried to. Point being, the front baffle angled down from the front and the rear baffle angled up from the rear, and where they ended in the middle of the pipe the front and the rear baffle were pretty much perpendicular.

Cool. So I'm looking at my left pipe. The left pipe if different, the baffles do not align perpendicularly. The front baffle looks like it has been welded 10 or 15 degrees off, the baffle is rotated so that I could easily pass a 1/4" dowel through the gap. Looking in my pipes the right baffles are perpendicular (like an = sign) and the left side seem to be rotated (like a > sign).

Soooooo, the question is, were my pipes assembled incorrectly or are they supposed to be like this? Maybe the left side is different from the right for a reason? If you have the Stout's hanging off your bike I'd be much obliged if you could run out and shine a light inside them, see if you can see what I'm describing here. See if both baffles appear perpendicular on the left and the right slip-on or if your left side is also off 10 or 15 degrees.

While I await replies I'm going to go hit the endcap with a allen wrench and see if I can get that endcap off and rotate the endcap into a better position. I just don't know if it's supposed to be in a perpendicular or angled orientation.

I have attached a picture I took with my cell phone. This is the left side, showing the rotation (might explain the > symbol from above). Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your help, and I DID SEARCH!

E

Attached Thumbnails Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?-stout1.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

don't know if this'll ease your mind before a call to supertrapp ...

( you can try their forums, but they tend to be late and useless answering questions)

...but a number of HD pipes I have looked at were different from side to side.

mike

Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

That does make me feel better. It also makes me feel good that I'm not the only guy who (sometimes!) notices things like this.

Just wondering if the left will be louder, freer-flowing, hotter, cooler, etc, just plain different or off. Or if it's supposed to be like that. I have the 6 screws pulled from the endcap and the two screws pulled from the side, I'm having a hard time getting the end cap to move. But I'm just getting started :-)

Thanks for the reply.

E

Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

Couldn't get the end cap off, I didn't try too hard. Don't want to scratch anything and looking at it, the way the two screws are positioned on the side of the pipe, I wouldn't be able to rotate the end cap into a different position anyway. So, being the impatient SOB that I am, I'm headed out to the garage to put it on and fire it up! I'll contact Supertrapp tomorrow, hopefully they'll tell me either yes or no on the baffle position and take care of it if it's wrong.

I'll be sure to evangelize here on the HDForums either way, so Supertrapp, if you're listening.....

E

Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Okay.....

Maybe it's the sign of my rookie status that I carry on a conversation with myself on a thread I started? Funny, but it makes me laugh though!

But anyway, I said I'd evangelize either way, here I go:

Just got back from my test ride. Fired up the Glide in my garage, sounded low and deep. Rumblin' and a burblin'. Sounded good at idle. A few blips of the throttle, volume increased and the sound was good. Backed it out of the garage and was able to pretty much sneak out of the neighborhood. At least I thought I was sneaking, didn't seem too loud to me. Got her up on Highway 7 and opened it up, got righteous-loud. Like a Harley should. Not harsh and obnoxious like some of the bikes you hear idling by on Lazelle street, it was deep, sweet and just right. I was a little concerned that they would be too quiet, that DB chart Supertrapp has on their website lists them as just above the SE's, but they're just right for me. If I need to get loud I'll hop on my Dyna, I like these pipes on the Glide!

I didn't notice any sound/volume difference between the left and the right side but how would I? My ears seem to have fallen out of calibration over the years. So, if I can't hear a difference I don't think I'm going to worry about the alignment of the baffles that I saw in the pipes. The way that cross-tube is, kind of flattened as it crosses under the bike on its way to the left side, maybe the left side pipe needs to be opened up a little more? I did notice that there was quite a bit more condensation coming out of the left side pipe as the bike sat and idled in the garage but I don't see how that could be attributed to the pipes.

Bottom line, I have one ride/3 miles on these Stouts and I like them so far. They look good, sound good, what more is there?

E

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Go here, log on, and they will answer all your questions. I posted some questions and got great information very quickly.

http://forums.supertrapp.com/

Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Sweet, Im looking to get a set of these soon. Any difference in power. Do you seat in the pants dyno notice a difference. Supposedly the gains in torque and hp are about 10 hp both ends with just the mufflers themselves

Keep us updated.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

and FWIW, I run supermegs.

with those we usually set the discs so that the left side is about 60% of the right, since the right 'sees" both cylinders and the left pretty much just the left, but for stray waves sneakin' over.

mike

Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

If you hold your hand an inch or so behind the Stouts is the exhaust pressure nearly equal coming out of the left and right pipe?I just installed a set of 4"Rineharts and approx 80% of the exhaust is coming out of the right pipe.I didn't really want to get into the true Dual thing,but I might need to.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

Pettifogger, thanks for the link, I'll head over and see what they have to say.

vizcarmb, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with them. Sometimes I'll choose a little more form and style over function, but I don't think I'm suffering in the functionality department here. They look awesome and I love the open 4" endcap on them. I was looking at the Supertrapp SE's with the afterburner endcap but the price started getting close to these, so I got these because they were rated a little louder. My highly calibrated **** does see an increase in power, when I turn right at the stoplight heading to work I have to accelerate uphill. These things open up and get me moving much more efficiently than the stock pipes did. Seems to want to rev higher and easier, but it might have just been me keeping the throttle open wider and longer to hear that sweet song! It does seem quicker though. I'll get the wife on it tonight and go for a ride, see how it feels with her on it. Maybe 130 lbs of wife? She won't tell me....

mkguitar, good info, something to mull over, and pretty much what I saw when I looked through them. Less restriction on the left.

dansflhti, that was a good exercise. I ran out and fired it up, there is definately more force coming out the right side than the left. At least at idle there was. Later on I'll have someone blip the throttle and see what happens, see if I can feel the force equal out.

Thanks to all for the replies, tips, and suggestions. One thing I did notice, and I don't remember this happening when I put pipes on the Dyna, there was quite a bit of assembly oil burning out of the pipes. And I'm going to have to de-grease the endcaps when I get it home today to avoid any stains. Just something I noticed, seems to be a very light assembly oil blowing out of it.

Quick Reply: Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?