Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dansflhti
If you hold your hand an inch or so behind the Stouts is the exhaust pressure nearly equal coming out of the left and right pipe?I just installed a set of 4"Rineharts and approx 80% of the exhaust is coming out of the right pipe.I didn't really want to get into the true Dual thing,but I might need to.
Are those the Rineharts in the last picture you linked to? Good looking pipes, pretty much what these Stouts look like.

Looking at your pix (sweet bike BTW) I don't think I have my pipes installed correctly, I think I need to push them farther forward. I have maybe 2" I could go, forward, before I hit the heat shield. I was trying to make them stick out from under the saddlebags a little farther. Maybe I'll reconsider that. I did try to ensure that the clamp and the outer diameter of the slipon had ahold of maybe 1" to 1 1/2" of inside exhaust tube.

Attached Thumbnails Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?-stout3.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 PM
livindadream
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the kerker 4" stout and the baffles are a straight threw design and the supertrapp has a different design. The supertrapps are 2.4 db louder than stock at 95.6 db. The kerkers are 5db louder than stock at 97 db. The supertrapps claim 9.3 hp and 10.5 torque increase while the kerkers claim 9.6 hp and 9 torque increase. i choose the stouts do to im sticking with the stock head pipe, and they soud great. The supertrapps have a tapered baffle and the kerker are straight through that might have something to do with it.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by S1dewinder
Are those the Rineharts in the last picture you linked to? Good looking pipes, pretty much what these Stouts look like.

Looking at your pix (sweet bike BTW) I don't think I have my pipes installed correctly, I think I need to push them farther forward. I have maybe 2" I could go, forward, before I hit the heat shield. I was trying to make them stick out from under the saddlebags a little farther. Maybe I'll reconsider that. I did try to ensure that the clamp and the outer diameter of the slipon had ahold of maybe 1" to 1 1/2" of inside exhaust tube.
The slip-ons in the last pic are the Monster Rounds I installed in the spring of this year.I had them on for a few weeks and found them to be a little irratating,so I sold them.I'm enjoying the 4" Rineharts much more.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the 140-65224 and mine are about an inch back from the shield, you should push them all the way forward so they seal good, when i looked into my pipe i don't have nothing but a straight run threw. nothing hanging down and NO light coming thru, but you probably have a different pipe then me beings i have an 2010, but you shouldn't be able to see light like ya said. wait till they burn in a little they only sound better, love mine

Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
i have the 140-65224 and mine are about an inch back from the shield, you should push them all the way forward so they seal good, when i looked into my pipe i don't have nothing but a straight run threw. nothing hanging down and NO light coming thru, but you probably have a different pipe then me beings i have an 2010, but you shouldn't be able to see light like ya said. wait till they burn in a little they only sound better, love mine
I don't understand, if you have a straight run through, with nothing hanging down, how can you NOT have light coming through? Is it because they're on your bike, then I think there would not be any light. But what about when you first unpacked them from the box, with nothing hanging down and a straight run through I would think that you WOULD see light. Confused here. My research tells me, I think, that the '10 and '11 bikes have more open pipes because of the cats. That could explain something here.

If you look at the picture I uploaded with my original post, you can see that there's definitely light shining through there. But, as someone suggested, even with the left side being more open, when the motor burning I get more exhaust out the right side than I do the left. I even had the Wife hold the throttle open between 2 and 3k rpm and the left side never had the output that the right side did.

So anyway, i think i will push them forward closer to the heatshields, even them out left and right. And I'm looking forward to them sounding better as they 'season', they sound good now, I can just imagine how they'll sound once they get broken in.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand, if you have a straight run through, with nothing hanging down, how can you NOT have light coming through? Is it because they're on your bike, then I think there would not be any light. But what about when you first unpacked them from the box, with nothing hanging down and a straight run through I would think that you WOULD see light. Confused here. My research tells me, I think, that the '10 and '11 bikes have more open pipes because of the cats. That could explain something here.

If you look at the picture I uploaded with my original post, you can see that there's definitely light shining through there. But, as someone suggested, even with the left side being more open, when the motor burning I get more exhaust out the right side than I do the left. I even had the Wife hold the throttle open between 2 and 3k rpm and the left side never had the output that the right side did.

So anyway, i think i will push them forward closer to the heatshields, even them out left and right. And I'm looking forward to them sounding better as they 'season', they sound good now, I can just imagine how they'll sound once they get broken in.
i thought you had them on the bike and seen light, misread your post, thats why i said to push them on as far as they'll go, mine are, and there about an inch from the shield, and mine are tuned for the CAT being on, so there is a difference. so far there are only 3 people including myself that has posted on theses pipes, would have thought there would be more beings this is a large forum and all, but like i said mine are all good for me enjoy

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM
jwells
5th Gear

A little late to the party here, and with the great response from others I think you have figured it out, but;

Sometimes during production, cores will be assembled a little off from each other, it is cosmetic only, they function the same.

There is a difference between the cores on 2010+ mufflers vs. -2009
The later model cores were designed specifically for use on the stock/CAT equipped head pipe. They will work on the older non-CAT headpipes, but they will be substantially louder on those bikes.
But good info for people looking at ALL the options.

If you do have questions, you can post to our forum as well, however it is only monitored during working hours-Monday thru Friday-we do have to ride sometime!

Thanks,
Jeff
SuperTrapp Industries

Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Jeff. I can definately see that the 'core' is rotated just a little, the first post of this thread has a picture attached. But like I said, I put them on anyway and I love them. I got them all cleaned up last night from what looked like assembly oil blowing out of them (I could smell it cooking too, even as I rode) and they sure do shine. They look as good as they sound. This is my first supertrapp purchase and so far I'm pretty well pleased with them.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
jwells
5th Gear

S1dewinder-thanks, I think you will be very happy for a long time to come with those.
More importantly-thank you for your service, my son ships first of Nov-SanDiego Marines.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

My right side exhaust is setup like the picture you have posted

I pushed both exhausts all the way in, then I took out the ruler and noticed the right side was farther in about an inch. So I pulled them back to were they both line up evenly from the saddlebag. I will check again with a level.

Anyways, these have a realy good deep sound. I wear a fullface and earplugs so the noise is just like the website has stated. A little louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. Open up the throttle and it gets a little louder.

Since it is getting colder, the heat isn't really an issue for me. The last performance mod I will do is just an aircleaner and pretty much be done

Quick Reply: Supertrapp 4" Stout assembled incorrectly?