Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flhx tri-bar lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Flhx tri-bar lights

I have an 08 sg and have been putting brighter bulbs in lately. If i'm not mistaken, the tri-bar lights on the rear fender are suppose to get brighter when the brakes are applied. I checked on hd web site for the description and it indicates the lights do react to the brakes being applied. Anyone back me up on that or am i wrong? I also read a post yesterday about someone making his light bar go on when the brakes are applied by moving one of the wires in the harness...could not find that post again today.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Grizcat68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about '08 but I know that the '11 is strictly a running light. I had to get a whole new light in order for it to function as a running/brake light. A little over $100 if I remember correctly.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JABMIKE, I remember the post you're talking about. however, I didn't see any pins to move when i removed the rear cover. I made my own LED light bar and wired it internally. I used 28 LED's compared to the 4 that HD uses. I spent less than 30 bucks and looks pretty dam good and took many pics while doing it. I believe your light is just a running light but you can solder it as a brake light only (from what i read). you can do this 2 ways, you can 1- build a circuit and install as run/brake light, or you can check out a truck stop and see what "chicken" lights they have (LED's). you can find a dual intensity 6 inch LED bar and hot glue it to the inside facing down and wire them internally. i took a picture of the board where i wired it. if i remember, the white wire was the ground, black was brake and red was running. lastly, NO you don't need a load equalizer, it's very simple and not needed.

Cep

Last edited by Cep10SG; 09-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

What you are looking for is 68358-07A. This replaces the factory tri bar light and makes it function like you want. I have one on my '08 FLHX and it works just as advertised.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Default tri-bar

Thanks, i will check out the part from hd. I put the 69462-06a kit on but left the yellow lenses on. As a retired cop i can tell you that too many red lights is not good. That's why in ny police cars now add blue lights so they can stand out. Think about driving in traffic at night. The only color you see is red tail lights. I also added a sylvania silverstar bulb to the brake. It seems a little brighter. I also have a detachable tour pak with a brake light on the rack. I put the aux. Lights on the sg when it was new. I tried the hyper yellow nokya bulbs but didn't like them. Just a dull yellow. Anyone know how to clean the inside of the headlight and aux lights. They have become foggy??

Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you haven't already done so, check-out the Brightasslights, BAL-1R, for your SG. Replaces the OEM tail light and is a excellent solution for rear lighting.

Carl

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Brightasslight. I bought one last weekend, Holy $#it, that is one Bright *** light!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
JABMIKE
Tourer
Default Brightasslights

I saw them at las vegas harley. They had a display in the store. Blinding.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I put the BAL-1R on my bike ('04 EG with SG rear fascia/tri-bar light) and the tri-bar light isn't noticeable when the brake light flashes and goes steady burn at the higher settings than stock. I've ridden behind SG's with the HD run/brake accessory tri-bar light and didn't consider it to be very noticeable; nothing like the BAL IMO.

The BAL is pricey, but it's good value when considering other lighting alternatives (e.g. HD's saddlebag spoiler LED's which I had) to provide more light at the rear of the bike.

Carl