Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Tunes Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011 | 05:41 PM
Moosestache
|
Cruiser
Default Road King Tunes Help

I have a 2010 Road king and I want to add music to it. No fairing, and my thoughts are to install the speakers on the handle bars. I was hoping to hear some thoughts on what people have and what they like. I have found 3 options so far, and wondered what people thought of them.

1. Boom!™ Audio Cruiser Amp and Speaker Kit, part number 76262-08. Retails at $399 looks like I can find it around $360ish. I like this style better than the windshield mounted one.

2. J&M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ftn7yqCXig Dr. V-Twin sells these for $399.

3. Bag stereo from Joe. 500watt with Polk marine speakers. $300, and he will put an electrical outlet in it for an extra $50. Here are some pictures from a previous post. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/multi...-from-joe.html

I usually run with a windshield but not always. I want to be able to hear it at 70++ with or without the windshield. I will have it hooked up to an iphone. Any comparisons between these three or individual reviews? Any setups I have missed that people really like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-19-2011 | 06:13 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser

Listen to the voices in your head, the can get kinda loud but sometimes they sing in tune. The bonus is they haven't charged me yet!

Old 09-19-2011 | 06:36 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

Bought my gal a set of "sound of chrome" speakers for her RKC and she loves them. Mounted them on the handlebars, and she hears them just fine on the interstate. Myself, I prefer the music of the motor...for now anyway.

Old 09-19-2011 | 07:50 PM
deli
Novice

I use a shorty windshield in the winter, and want nothing to do with a fairing. Bought the boom kit and mounted the speakers on the engine guard. Sound tails off over 70, but with trial and error on mount and facing angle produced some improvement. In any event, sans windshield, the only music at 80 is the engine.

Old 09-19-2011 | 11:05 PM
wulffe
Tourer

Not what you are asking for but I am also new to the RK. I rigged up a holder to the dash panel for my smartphone and I'm using earbuds. May switch it over to a blue tooth setup eventually. I didn't want to break the look with speakers and all that.

Old 09-20-2011 | 12:35 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member

Google "Rumble Road Ultra". 100w speakers w/amplifiers built in.

Old 09-20-2011 | 08:42 AM
Moosestache
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wulffe
Not what you are asking for but I am also new to the RK. I rigged up a holder to the dash panel for my smartphone and I'm using earbuds. May switch it over to a blue tooth setup eventually. I didn't want to break the look with speakers and all that.
I have heard it is illegal in many places to wear earbuds while riding. That is second hand so I wouldn't quote me on it.

Thanks for the info so far, I found another setup, http://www.motorcycletunes.com/prodd...T1-4AS&cat=221
600 watt amp with either JVC or Polk speakers. Also comes with a usb charging port on the amp. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2011 | 01:09 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

I have a set up similar to wulffe's. I have a RAM mount on the handlebars and stream Pandora through my smart phone. I then have headphone speakers (not earbubs) that velcro to the lining of my helmet near the ears. Of course this only works if you wear a 3/4 or full-face helmet. I can hear even at Interstate speeds and it was only about $120 or so for the speakers, RAM mount and USB charger. It's not quite what you're looking for but a possible alternative. If you land on something you like report back with a review :-)

Old 09-20-2011 | 03:40 PM
Invictys
Cruiser

I currently use earbuds and either stream pandora from my smartphone or use my IPOD.

No holder just set it ,put it in my front pocket, and go.

I'm on the fence about disrupting the lines of the bike with mounts and speakers and such. Of course I would like to be able to actually skip a song or turn the volume up/down so who knows that may change in the future.

Subscribed to this thread for options =)

Old 09-21-2011 | 11:30 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master

I put a set of cyclesounds 3" speakers on my handlebars & love them! Small & compact, but I can still hear the music at interstate speeds (with windscreen). They're about as subtle looking as you can get in bar-mounted speakers, IMHO. Almost look factory. They also have an optional saddlebag lid speaker system that will tie in with the handlebar mounted ones. Very nice & I might add those later.

I rode with the moulded earbuds for a while, but didn't like them. I hated not being able to hear anything else around me, and it was especially annoying when you would slow & stop at a light; you'd always be fumbling for the volume. They also would have wind noise.

Quick Reply: Road King Tunes Help