Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exhaust Gasket Question

'm getting ready to install a Supertrapp 2-1 system on my bike. In the instructions it says to use regular stock HD gaskets only. Has anyone used the SE gaskets with a Supertrapp 2-1?

I have a brand new pair of SE gaskets, and was planning on using them with the exhaust. But after reading the instructions, I'm left wondering if the SE ones will work or what the reason for them saying stock only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Old 11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Gasket Question

Take the SE's back, get the stockers... Better construction.......

Only replace the gaskets if there is excessive damage or wear... very rarely do exh gaskets fail....

Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 PM
jfanton
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting...

i used the se gaskets when i installed the v&h big shot duals. i do get decel pop, doesn't bother me (too) much. can't help but wonder if i'm getting a good seal between the pipe, gasket and exhaust port. if i put my hand near the ports right after starting bike to check for leaks, it's very difficult. sometimes it feels like i can feel a little puffing action, but it's hard to discern with all the heat. i did torque all four nuts to the proper torque, in the proper sequence. i have decided that the next time i pull the exhaust, i'm going back to stock gaskets. i understand that the se are supposed to flow better, and prolly do, but i'm not trying to break any land speed records. there is much more meat on stock gaskets, hence, they should seal better. this could be the reason supertrapp recommends stock over se.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason I'm going to use the SE ones is that I have ported/polished heads, and Bean at Big Boyz recommends using the SE gaskets. The SE ones don't crush down as much and as a result will not block off the porting job.

Right now I have the performance gaskets that came with the Rineharts in there right now, they do not compress at all. They are a different material then the HD ones. I might even try those and see how that works.

Steve

Old 11-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

I could never get the SE ones to seal on my bike. Ended up going back to the stockers. I think the key with the stock ones is to make sure you don't over torque them. If you do you could end up with material blocking the port.

I'd do like you mention and try to use the Rhiehart ones. Can't wait to hear what you think of the new pipe.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

I used the stock type when I installed the duals on mine as it was recommended to me that I use them as opposed to the SE ones because they said they didn't seal as well. As said, just don't squeeze them down so much.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Rambler
Tourer

definately use the stock gaskets

Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have a good test for seeing if they are properly sealed?
White smoke stick or something?

Old 11-22-2006, 10:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic
I have a brand new pair of SE gaskets, and was planning on using them with the exhaust. But after reading the instructions, I'm left wondering if the SE ones will work or what the reason for them saying stock only.
I think you would be fine either way you do it. I had both new stock gaskets and SE gaskets when I got my Supertrap. I went with the stock ones because they said to and I've read its easier to get the stock ones to seal. If the SE's don't work it isn't very tough to pull the exhaust and switch.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:26 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

I had problems with my V&H ProPipe sealing up with the SE gaskets as well....so I asked around and got a tip from a few guys to use the crushable metal type gaskets like White bros. makes, or these by Novello:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...=Harley&page=6

I went with the Novello because they were easier to get. I thought they would work well since some of the most recommended head gaskets, and the ones I also use are the multi-layer steel (MLS) cometic gaskets...proving you don't need a 'fibrous' gasket for a good seal.

Anyway, to get to the meat of it, I have not had an exhaust leak for the last two years with these gaskets....even though I've had the exhaust off twice and reused the same gaskets...I'm very happy to recommend these to everyone.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Gasket Question