Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which audio Amp is easiest to install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which audio Amp is easiest to install?

I have a 2008 Ultra. Next project for me is to improve the audio. I do not
have too much free time these days so I need to find a decent audio amp to add to my radio
which is the easiest to install . I am looking for plug and play kind of thing. What do yo recommend based on your own experience?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The Arc Audio Mini installed pretty easy for me.
Overall very happy with it.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

*** Deleted ***

Last edited by iclick; 09-19-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I assume Journeyman is using the Arc KS-125-2 Mini, which is identical to my Elf E2125X. Both are 2-ch. amps but neither are plug-and-play, although are relatively easy to install given minimal knowledge of sound systems.

If you want to use all four speakers on the Ultra I don't know of a 4-ch. P&P system available. Hawg-Wired sells two P&P systems but they only work with two speakers and are not expandable. HD has a 4-speaker Boom system for the Ultra but state that it is "dealer installation required," which suggests that it isn't P&P and also that you will probably void your warranty on the system if you install it yourself. You could buy an Elf or Arc 4-ch. amp, but I don't think those will fit under the fairing. There may be solutions for 4-speaker systems if you do a search here. I am running four speakers (Hertz 6½" speakers and Hogtunes Tweeter Pods), but they are connected in parallel with no adjustment of volume between the two pairs other than left and right gain.

You might call Hawg-Wired and ask about using their P&P amp kits with only the front fairing speakers, leaving the rears to be powered as before with the HK head unit. I would also assume that you're going to replace the stock speakers, as they likely don't have a high enough power rating to handle amps with even a moderate power increase.

Last edited by iclick; 09-19-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
gliding10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hogtunes was such an easy install. They sell a new 4channel amp set up. Its all about quality of sound. If ur looking for easy install I would recOmmens the hogtunes set up. Check out there website.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by gliding10
Hogtunes was such an easy install. They sell a new 4channel amp set up. Its all about quality of sound. If ur looking for easy install I would recOmmens the hogtunes set up. Check out there website.
They have a 40W x 4 amp but it isn't really P&P since the power wire will need to run to the battery. OTOH I think the OP is going to have to resign himself to some installation rigmarole, as I don't know of a true P&P 4-ch. system. Like I said earlier the HW P&P systems might work if he only wants to upgrade the fairing speaker output.

Last edited by iclick; 09-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
batman4706
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too used the Elf, no matter what amp you use, the bracket show in this thread makes it a neater installation

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-modules.html

Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I assume Journeyman is using the Arc KS-125-2 Mini, which is identical to my Elf E2125X. Both are 2-ch. amps but neither are plug-and-play, although are relatively easy to install given minimal knowledge of sound systems.

If you want to use all four speakers on the Ultra I don't know of a 4-ch. P&P system available. Hawg-Wired sells two P&P systems but they only work with two speakers and are not expandable. HD has a 4-speaker Boom system for the Ultra but state that it is "dealer installation required," which suggests that it isn't P&P and also that you will probably void your warranty on the system if you install it yourself. You could buy an Elf or Arc 4-ch. amp, but I don't think those will fit under the fairing. There may be solutions for 4-speaker systems if you do a search here. I am running four speakers (Hertz 6½" speakers and Hogtunes Tweeter Pods), but they are connected in parallel with no adjustment of volume between the two pairs other than left and right gain.

You might call Hawg-Wired and ask about using their P&P amp kits with only the front fairing speakers, leaving the rears to be powered as before with the HK head unit. I would also assume that you're going to replace the stock speakers, as they likely don't have a high enough power rating to handle amps with even a moderate power increase.
Good point on the plug and play, I kind of skipped over that. There will be some basic wiring involved.

It is important to understand that the power supply wire will have to be run, to the battery. In no way would you want to attempt to use the factory wires to power an amp.

They recommend 10 gauge wires, with a 30 amp fuse/breaker very near to the battery.

The hardest part - the tank will have to come off, not hard, power wire will run nicely through the wire duct and shrink tubes already there. Speaker wiring is strait forward.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

J&M is plug and play.

Drew

Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The cheapest and easiest and best sound is to use an adapter to enable you to use some ear buds.
Like this one (but there are others) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...item19c8857966

Quick Reply: Which audio Amp is easiest to install?