Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is Making Me Nervous

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:18 PM
dswansbiker
|
Road Warrior
Default This is Making Me Nervous

I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket. The dealer is discounting baggers right now. It's the perfect time to buy, but I can't for the life of me decide between a Road King and the Electra Glide Classic! The $750 difference between the two is not significant enough to be a factor, so it's all of the other things that are turning me into an indecisive old fool. I have spent some time on both bikes and have some likes and dislikes for both, but not enough to rule one out over the other. This may be the only new Harley I ever buy, so I am sweating the details like a nervous old lady.

The RK looks cooler in my opinion (looks just like my 69 FLH), like the idea of the detachable windshield, love the look of the headlight nacelle, and the "on tank" speedo, and like looking through the windshield instead of having part of my vision blocked by the fairing. I prefer the more wide open field of view of the RK over the EG. It's 47 pounds lighter than the EGC and that never hurts.

EGC is still a good looking bike in my book, just not quite a good as the RK. I like the bag guards (might save some swearing in the future, plus my 69 has them an I think they just look right on an EG). I like having a tach and oil pressure gauge, and not having to look down on the tank to see the speedo. The radio would be cool at the campsite or when washing the bike, but I would almost never use it when riding. The top box will be very handy, and the rear perch would be nice for my daughter when she goes along. Also the handlebars on the EG are a more natural fit for me than the RK bars. I am a tad more comfortable on the EG, as far as ergonomics, than the RK.

I'm not expecting anyone to feel sorry for me, but this is a very tough decision!!! My intention is not to start yet another thread on one bike vs. the other. Just want to get it off my chest I guess.

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:31 PM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: This is Making Me Nervous

Just pick the one YOU lke better...I can't help with that decision as it will be yours...Whatever you get, enjoy it...

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:40 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds like you want to go with the Road King. Everything you like about the EG can be done to the RK. Change the bars and or seat to make it fit you. Stick the bag guards on it. Add the HD combo speedo/tach and a rocker box mounted oil pressure gauge. Ride the heck out of it. Road Kings are so cool because of their versatility.

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:43 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The only part of your vision that should be blocked by the fairing is your front wheel. Typically I don't spend much time looking at that when I'm riding.....

As far as the radio, you might be surprised how relaxing it is to have a stereo. For long rides especially!

I'd have to go with anubisss on this one, pick the one you like the most! In some ways you can dress up the RK (they make detachable fairings for example, but that doesn't really give you extra gauges, they're more geared for stereos!), and you can dress down the Classic (removable tour-pak kit for example).

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:44 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

I always liked roadkings, but always bought glides because if your planning on two up riding around town or for sure on trips then the radio with the weather channels, the tourpack, better element protection and passenger comfort level is so much higher on the classic its a no brainer to me. But its youre call, if its just you then either will do a good job,but if the wifey goes along remember no trip is fun if she isn't comfy.

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:51 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

well- im biased (see sig). remember, with the RK- you can have the shield on, off or you can also buy a dead center (or similar) batwing fairing- with a radio/speakers- that mounts exactly like the stock shield.

the RK (all of them) is very versatile in what you can do to the look of it within minutes.

the EG is kinda permanent with the batwing.... not much you can change other than the height/tint of the shield- but, when set up (to my liking) they do look nice.

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:52 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

You might want to consider the type of riding you'll be doing the most, before deciding on which bike you want. If you do a lot of touring (overnights, long day rides, etc.), then the EGC is the bike for you. If you don't plan to do a lot of touring, or maybe occasionally, I would go with the Road King. You can always add the Tour-Pak and other accessories to make it a touring bike, whenever your riding needs change.

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:54 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

the road king IS a touring bike [8D]

Old 11-21-2006 | 08:00 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

The Road King is in the "touring" class, and is very capable of being a tour bike. However, if you are comparing the RK with the EGC, I think most would agree that the EGC is better equiped for touring! From storage capacity to on-board entertainment, the EGC would be more appropriate for touring (ie long road trips, overnights, etc.)

Old 11-21-2006 | 08:10 PM
bigjthetroll
Stage II

I have ridden a Roadking for the last 8 years and am buying a new bike this year. I went through the same decision process as you. I finally ordered a new RK for the reasons you stated in the RK's favor. Removable windshield, lighter weight etc. One reason you may not have thought of is the RK is easier to work on. Adjusting steering head bearings etc. There is still nothing better than riding an open bike on a sunny day. I have a backrest, luggage rack and soft bag for touring and the nice thing is they come off in 2 mins. I will be transferring these to my new bike. The seat and bars can be changed to any position that makes you comfortable. You can pick up a stock EGC seat for peanuts as many people replace them with Corbin or Sundowner etc. check ebay. Bars come in many bends. Have fun chosing. Big J

Quick Reply: This is Making Me Nervous