Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is Making Me Nervous

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006 | 09:48 PM
rmarion
Road Master
Default RE: This is Making Me Nervous

Heads or Tails

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:03 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

Instead you might consider the SG. Cool looking fun to ride with tunes!!!

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:07 PM
Icepickvic
Cruiser
Default Re: Nervous...my $.02

My buddy sold his electraglide, and bought a roadking Custom,
but the bars weren't right,..so he added dresser bars...$$$
neither was the seat...added a touring seat....$$$$
then he missed his beerbox, but he can't justify spending $1000 to get one setup and added.
then he missed his fairing.... well there's an add on one out there for $800
and also his radio....well I guess he can spend another $1500 and buy a dragonfly fairing instead
and his gauges...ok, so he can rewire the bike and add them...where???
and since we make good highway time up here in the colder months, when it's subzero at speed, he realized he missed his lowers ...ok..get some desert dawgs...more money, and damned ugly.

Bottom line, he could've bought the EGC and a detachable box, but he bought the RKCustom, and rides a bike he can't justify spending another $2500 more to turn it into something he shouldve got and could've gotten for less money than the RKCust.
In my case, I got a RG, then added a box and lowers (permanently)...every time we ride, It's evident he misses the convenience of the trunk, the protection of the fairing, and the tunes he used to enjoy on his EG

Cost of buying a top notch multilayered coat system that you can adjust to changing weather $400
Cost of buying a 'cooler' coat with less pockets, protection, and comfort $380
Cost of knowing that you made the right decision and not having to dissatisfactorily say Man! I I got no place to put my stuff; I'm soaking wet; and I wish I had a liner I could give to my freezing kid cause now I gotta go to the store and buy a sweattop and a nylon coat to cover it and an umbrella and I wish I'd bought that functional and smartlooking multiuse coat...priceless

Not trying to be a smartass, but you answered your own question in the post; get the EGC.

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:14 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dswansbiker

Also the handlebars on the EG are a more natural fit for me than the RK bars. I am a tad more comfortable on the EG, as far as ergonomics, than the RK.

I think that is the most important sentence of all. You should go with whats comfortable to you. Ergonomics should be on the op of your decision making list.

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:24 PM
dswansbiker
|
Road Warrior

Interesting, some read my comments and think I'm headed for the RK and others think I'm a natural for the EGC. I like them both and it probably shows. The SG is nice, but I prefer the more traditional look of the RK or EG. The more they look like the old machines the more I like it.

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:08 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

It's the best deal Harley has. Better deal in my opinion than even an Ultra cause the price jumps up almost 2k for cruise, cb, and rear speakers, things I don't really need.
Well really for that extra 2k you get more color choices(Including the CVO 1/4ly colors), vented lowers, cruise, lined tour pak,cb,intercom, 80 watt sound,Brake lights and side LED Lights on tour pak,rear speakers,and some dealing leeway.(With mine the dealer threw in the setup, freight,security system, and lace wheels)

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:21 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

I too debated between the EGC and the RKC, but in the end I bought my '07 RKC for two reasons:

1. the removable windshield for those bright, sunny days riding around town when a windshield just seems to be out of place, and

2. I can take off the removable tour pak (an $800 add on) because I like the look of the bike without it.

However, after owning the bike for three months and riding for 3,500 miles, I have found out two things:

1. I never take the windshield off because it is SO much more comfortable riding with it, and

2. I never remove the tour pak because alot of stuff I really want to have with me is in it. I would have to transfer all of it to the saddlebags, which is a pain in the butt, so I just leave it on.

So after saying all that, do I wish I had bought the EGC? No. I love the old school look of the RKC and I have gotten spoiled by the cruise control. I wasn't sure I would use it much, but I've really gotten used to it. Nothing against the EGC ... it's a GREAT bike and I will probably end up one day with it or an Ultra. But for now I like the looks of the RKC.

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:39 PM
BUBBA
Tourer

i have a 06 EGC and really like it .

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:45 PM
ORCUTTHD
Cruiser

Go for the Road Glide!
Just kiddin, pick the one that you know you really want inside, throw out all other opinions!
Good luck!

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:51 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Compare them and choose.
[ul][ul]Instruments[*]RK
[ul][*] Electronic speedometer;[*] odometer;[*]resettable tripmeter;[*]fuel gauge[/ul][*]EGC
[ul][*]Electronic speedometer; [*]odometer; [*]resettable tripmeter; [*]tachometer; [*]fuel gauge; [*]volt meter; [*]oil pressure; [*]air temp[/ul]
Indicator Lamps[*]RK
[ul][*]High beam; [*]neutral; [*]low oil pressure; [*]turn signals; [*]engine diagnostics; [*]security system (optional)[/ul][*]EGC
[ul][*]High beam; [*]neutral; [*]low oil pressure; [*]engine diagnostics; [*]accessory; [*]turn signals; [*]low fuel warnings; [*]security system (optional)
[/ul][/ul]

UNIQUE FEATURES
[ul][*]RK
[ul][*]Large Hiawatha headlight and chrome nacelle; [*]black powder-coated engine with chrome covers; [*]detachable windshield; [*]GTX-nylon alloy lockable hard saddlebags; [*]large, tank-mounted speedometer[/ul][*]EGC
[ul][*]40-watt Advanced Audio System by Harman/KardonĀ®; [*]batwing, fork-mounted fairing with full instrumentation; [*]black powder-coated engine with chrome covers; [*]hard saddlebags and King Tour-PakĀ® with chrome accents and 2-position adjustability
[/ul][/ul]

So other than 43 pounds of weight difference, and the cosmetics......

Quick Reply: This is Making Me Nervous