Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED aux lamps - condensation behind lens - normal or replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
jph
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED aux lamps - condensation behind lens - normal or replaced?

Got a quick question....

I picked up my 2012 Limited a couple months ago and noticed recently there is condensation sitting behind the lens of both aux lamps. The LED headlamp is fine. Is this normal or something I should have the dealer check out and replaced under warranty?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Not normal. Is there a gasket behind the lens? Are you hitting them with high pressure water or air when you wash it? I am getting ready to put LED's in my front end so far no condensation with stock lights.

I do get some on the front fender light after washing. I am going to see if I can seal it up better.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM
jph
6th Gear

I haven't taken it apart, so not sure about the gasket. Not using a power washer or anything like that, just your typical garden hose and nozzle.

Thanks for the quick response, I will give them a call this week.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser

There are other threads addressing this. This is a defect. There is a 90 day warrenty on these lights. Contact the dealer that sold them to you and ask for new replacements. You want the updated version of lights that end with an "A" in the part number.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM
jph
6th Gear

Unfortunately I was told that these aux lamps are not sealed and will have condensation. Therefore there is nothing they can do. It is a shame there is not a service bulletin/recall on this. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
mechmatt
Tourer

Mine are doing it too. The parts guy told me he called Harley and if they do not stay fogged all the time they are not too concerned.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jph
Got a quick question....

I picked up my 2012 Limited a couple months ago and noticed recently there is condensation sitting behind the lens of both aux lamps. The LED headlamp is fine. Is this normal or something I should have the dealer check out and replaced under warranty?

Are the Aux lights LED, or just the headlight?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
jph
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Talldog
Are the Aux lights LED, or just the headlight?
All of them.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jph
Unfortunately I was told that these aux lamps are not sealed and will have condensation. Therefore there is nothing they can do. It is a shame there is not a service bulletin/recall on this. I don't know what else to do at this point.
I just ordered a complete set of LED turn signals, tail light, and fender lights form Custom Dynamics.
http://www.customdynamics.com/
When money allows, the next upgrade will be LED head light and passing lamps. I think I will go with Truck Lite for that. Much cheaper than HD and test show same performance, plus twice the warranty.

I guess you could always run a thin silicon bead around the lens seating area. Probably would have to break the lens to change the bulbs though.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jph
All of them.
As was said earlier, make sure the part #'s for both the Aux lights and the Headlight, are the new version with an (A) after the part #.

The older version without the (A) wasn't sealed correctly, if they're the older version, the dealer should warranty them out for you.

Quick Reply: LED aux lamps - condensation behind lens - normal or replaced?