Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Butt Advice needed..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have questions about if you can do it....I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't do this with a group. I guess I'm on of those rare riders that just prefers to ride alone. Especially when doing the Iron Butt. Being alone gives you a lot more flexibility for how your are doing physically. If you do it solo, it does make the documentation a bit more difficult. But part of what I enjoyed about collecting the necessary documentation was meeting people along the way.

That's just my opinion, but then, you asked for opinions.......

Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JCCASH
A few years ago I did the Saddle Sore 1000 in about 17 hours. My advice is simply take your time. No need to race. It's do able but you really need a seat that you can site on that is comfortable. I have also gone 14 hours none stop as well. I was on a HD Ultra for the ride.

The IB Ride I went on had about 70 people start together. Many acted like it was a race. It's not a race. I was alone but there was a man and his wife on a RK that I kept running into. We completed together. I was impressed his wife rode with him. After the ride we went to IHOP to eat. Boy was I hungry. After that meal I rode another 50 or so miles to get home. It was a good experience.

You will need road pegs and also water helps.
Good job... I have decided to go for the National Parks Patch - I will start it in May 2012 = at least 50 parks in at least 25 states in 12 months...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh hell, I forgot about the National Parks patch. I'm planned a long ride next summer than would most likely just fall into that category without much adjustment.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Sully,

i read your post that said you did not go on your IB ride. Regardless of the circumstances, this was for the best. 3 months after a tiba/fib fx is too short a period to attempt a 1000 ss.

I like you broke my tib/fib and it was 6 months before i was able to attempt a ride greater than 500 miles. The ss1000 is a great starter ride for entry into the IBA. My first SS1000 was completed in 17 hours, so it is not a difficult ride to complete.

My suggestions to you are as follows: Invest in some armor for your tibia, plenty out there to choose from, you will not regret the increase in confidence, especially after you have taken the first rock or bee in the tibia after the break. Second, if you choose to do the ss1000, start early, try to ride the majority of the trip during the day light hours, best to do the ride in June, around the 21st (longest day of the year) so you have max daylight, before you go figure out the exact point where your bike begins to run out of fuel, the longer you can go between fuel stops the better off you will be, as you will get tired and forgetful.
Hydrate, both at fuel stops and in between. Remember to do the math, 1000 in 24 hours is not very fast but you have to factor in stops and the documentation required by the IBA. Last, wear your protective clothing, a leather jacket or some type of jacket to keep out the elements, both sun and wind, will extend your riding time.

I would also recommend you visit the IBA website as they have many helpful hints, listed.

I have completed 2 IBA rides, both the SS1000, and the BunBurner Gold which is 1500 miles in 24 hours. I also completed the Hoka Hey this summer and rode 17,000 in 19 days, so consistant riding of 1000 miles days, even on a harley can be done, just protect yourself, take your time and by all means, stop if you feel you can not complete the ride. No patch, certificate or other merit badge can replace your life.

best of luck, get out there and join the club, just be safe.