Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best wind protection for taller folks? RG/batwing/RK with extended shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best wind protection for taller folks? RG/batwing/RK with extended shield?

Just curious, I'm 6' 4" and large in the torso (all 3 dimensions!), my inseam is only 34". I've had my RKC for a year and 8000 miles now, took my first longer trip with it over Labor Day. I'm not that impressed with how it cuts through the wind, and the buffeting with any combination of helmets isn't good. I've tried the chrome lower fork wind deflectors, they are an improvement but don't get the job done. I think going +4 on the windscreen may fix most of it (this would put the top of the windshield slightly above my nose). But, I've also been debating getting a detachable batwing for my bike instead of the taller windshield, mainly for the tunes. I think there are many more tall windshield options for the batwing fairings.

A stretch/distant 3rd option would be a Road Glide. I've grown to like the look and I've heard they are better in the wind. For those of you who are tall, which is of the three is your preference, and/or what did you do to eliminate the buffeting?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Police windshields from FLHP or FLHTP are 2" taller than FLHTC.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
A stretch/distant 3rd option would be a Road Glide. I've grown to like the look and I've heard they are better in the wind.
The Road Glide fairing is a ways out in front of the rider. To get any real wind protection, especially for a taller rider, you need a very tall windshield, which, to me, ruins the look of the Road Glide. Those low, dark windshields on the CVO Road Glides that look so great don't offer much in the way of wind protection.

You might want to try a windshield for your RK that has a recurve top edge. These kick up the windstream a bit, and enlarge the pocket of still air behind them. I think Clearview is building RK windshields with the recurve.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been down all three roads. Started off with a RK with Clearview... Didn't have any wind issues. Loved it..

Decided to follow the pack and get a SG.. Major wind buffeting, and 5 shields later, sold it..

Road a Road Glide with standard winshield.. Horrible buffeting..

Back on a RK.. You may want to try the top of the line RK clearview.. It is I think 22" and also wider, and has a vent option to stop buffeting from behind the shield.

Bottom line is that you're on the right track..

Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

I've had buffeting problems on my Street Glide, and have thought that the vacuum created behind the fairing/shield was part of the problem. I had a windshield (one of several) that really didn't work out for me, so I drilled three 1/2" holes in the shield right above the fairing, thinking that the small amount of air they would allow to enter might break up the vacuum and lessen the buffeting. Well, I think they did help very slightly. So in your case, a taller RK shield with a proper vent might be the solution. BTW, I have the same body measurements as you. Finding the cure for buffeting has been a (pricey) bitch.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM
TallTexan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The buffeting is caused by the wind coming up from under the windshield or fairing. I ran across this long ago when I added a wind screen to my CB650. On a the Roadking or any other add chrome Wind Deflectors (PN 58121-85b) under the windshield or fairing. I added fairing mount wind deflectors that I can regulate the wind coming through. They also help during the cool months to deflect the wind.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM
TallTexan
Novice

Originally Posted by JonW
I've had buffeting problems on my Street Glide, and have thought that the vacuum created behind the fairing/shield was part of the problem. I had a windshield (one of several) that really didn't work out for me, so I drilled three 1/2" holes in the shield right above the fairing, thinking that the small amount of air they would allow to enter might break up the vacuum and lessen the buffeting. Well, I think they did help very slightly. So in your case, a taller RK shield with a proper vent might be the solution. BTW, I have the same body measurements as you. Finding the cure for buffeting has been a (pricey) bitch.
Jon,
Try the Fairing Air Deflectors, 58568-98.
If you want to try the concept, hug the tank with your knees, and the buffeting goes away...

Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

At 6'2" I ride a road glide with a clearview windshield. Also added lowers and this eliminated the buffeting.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Benedetto
5th Gear

I ride an Electra Glide and a Road Glide both. If you want less buffeting don't buy a Road Glide, you will be disappointed at your height. I am 6"0" but with the Road Zeppelin seat I am like a 6'3" person and even with the 2" over stock height shield there is still a lot of buffeting.
In contrast the 93 Electra Glide fairing now on my FLHS is very nice with only a 6" windshield. You may want to look into a Limited with a Standard or Clearview shield and a stretch seat as you are pretty tall for these baggers.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
At 6'2" I ride a road glide with a clearview windshield. Also added lowers and this eliminated the buffeting.
Yes. Same works for the batwing. And for the Road King, if you get a Clearview Recurve shield (fitted properly), and some detachable lowers you will fix your buffeting problem. Your hands will still be in the breeze though. For that, you will need a batwing.

I'm 6'2"and get the "under buffet" on my batwing without the lowers. As you are riding, move your hands all around the fairing. You can tell where the flow is coming from.
http://www.clearviewshields.com/
http://www.leatherpros.com/website1_005.htm

Quick Reply: Best wind protection for taller folks? RG/batwing/RK with extended shield?