Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best wind protection for taller folks? RG/batwing/RK with extended shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Fork mounted baffle (deflector), a half moon shaped object along with fork wind deflectors (lower end of forks) will eliminate nearly all buffeting. Summertime riding will be hot with the lower fork deflectors (should take them off during hot weather). This combo works with almost any sized shield. You should not let your shield be as high as eye level and with these 2 additions you should be very comfortable. Otherwise, just ride without a shield and get used to it.

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Just curious, I'm 6' 4" and large in the torso (all 3 dimensions!), my inseam is only 34". I've had my RKC for a year and 8000 miles now, took my first longer trip with it over Labor Day. I'm not that impressed with how it cuts through the wind, and the buffeting with any combination of helmets isn't good. I've tried the chrome lower fork wind deflectors, they are an improvement but don't get the job done. I think going +4 on the windscreen may fix most of it (this would put the top of the windshield slightly above my nose). But, I've also been debating getting a detachable batwing for my bike instead of the taller windshield, mainly for the tunes. I think there are many more tall windshield options for the batwing fairings.

A stretch/distant 3rd option would be a Road Glide. I've grown to like the look and I've heard they are better in the wind. For those of you who are tall, which is of the three is your preference, and/or what did you do to eliminate the buffeting?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rhlhamlet
Fork mounted baffle (deflector), a half moon shaped object along with fork wind deflectors (lower end of forks) will eliminate nearly all buffeting. Summertime riding will be hot with the lower fork deflectors (should take them off during hot weather). This combo works with almost any sized shield. You should not let your shield be as high as eye level and with these 2 additions you should be very comfortable. Otherwise, just ride without a shield and get used to it.
6'4" here and agree with the baffle and fork mounted deflectors. I have a 22" Clearview recurve that I can see "over" when I have the tall-boy seat mounted but look "through" it when I have on the Brawler solo seat. Still use the stock shield for solo riding but am considering a shorter Clearview for such times.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rhlhamlet
It doesn't feel like the air is coming up between the triple tree and the tank, but I suppose I'll have to try the fork baffle. I've seen a couple bikes with them, and it's cheap enough that I'll give it a shot. Didn't they come stock on the FLH's for a long time?

The windshield is usually not on the bike unless it's raining, it's below 45* outside, or I'm going on a multi-hour interstate trip. With the apes it's a pain to hold on at 85mph for extended periods of time without the shield, I feel like a parachute.

One other piece of info, I've had 4 different seats on the bike. Stock, Corbin, Mustang, and a police seat. I'm trying to decide if I'm keeping the Mustang or the police seat for long rides, once I get that decision nailed down sounds like I'll be trying a new shield. The police seat is several inches taller than the rest of them, I know I'd need a taller shield with it vs. the other seats. I had the least buffeting with the stock & corbin seats, which were significantly lower than the Mustang & police seats. Pretty sure my head is just ending up in the turbulent area above/behind the top of the stock shield. If I slouch down a couple inches it improves drastically but I can't ride like that for more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks again everybody for the responses, sponsors included!

grbrown- I rode back from Pittsburgh in the rain with a nasty crosswind, and the bike felt a little unstable to me. I was just contributing it to the road surface, sounds like it may have actually been the shield. Now I'm curious what a batwing would've felt like in the same situation. Maybe when I'm at the dealer buying the baffle I'll ask to take one for a quick ride.