Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best wind protection for taller folks? RG/batwing/RK with extended shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never thought about lowers making that much of a difference, but now that a couple of you have mentioned it I can completely understand. I noticed a rather large difference in buffeting between having my feet on the footboards vs. highway pegs. Smoothing the air over the knee/leg area has to be significant.

I have the 58121-85b deflectors already. They helped some, but weren't the drastic improvement I was hoping for. The suggestion of adding vent holes is a good one. I know looking at other bikes (BMW's, Goldwings, Concours 14's, etc), they all seem to have an adjustable vent in the windscreen. I'll have to give it a try.

If the batwing won't buy me anything over a slightly taller shield with a recurve or something, I won't bother. I have 14" pseudo-apes on the bike, with a batwing my hands would be exposed anyway so it's not buying me any additional protection. I don't mind being in the breeze, I just don't like my helmet getting tossed around, and subsequently blurring my vision- it's really distracting on a longer freeway trip. Putting my hand up at the top of the shield stops almost all of it.

Thanks everybody for the responses! This is one of the few times I don't enjoy being tall, lol.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:20 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Subscribing.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Subscribing.
Interested in the R.G. solutions/tips. Don't mind the buffeting on 200 miles or less. Any longer and my head feels like it's been in a paint shaker.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having issues with a new Road King, too.

Looking at the CeeBailey's that gives a couple of inches taller and a couple of inches wider.

Has anyone tried theirs?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
I'm having issues with a new Road King, too.

Looking at the CeeBailey's that gives a couple of inches taller and a couple of inches wider.

Has anyone tried theirs?
hey dandolfn, thanks for your interest in our product. hopefully, through feedback from other forum user's experience, we can be a great resource to you. PM us if you want to discuss further details about the Road King ws.

Thanks! Ride safe

Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You need to determine where the air that is causing the buffeting is coming from first.

Ive had a Road King Custom, Fatboy and now a Road Glide and have been able to get them all worked out to where Ive had virtually no buffeting.

When your riding hold your hand out and move it around untill you determine if the buffeting is from air over, around or under the windshield .

On my RK I needed to have a shield that was closer to my nose in height, on the Fatboy I was using a shield or fairing that was closer to my chin in height. I ride with my knees pretty tight to gas tank and that stopps most of the lower air from coming up. On my Road Glide im running a Cee Bailey TRSSC at chin height and the HD air deflectors and Im good to 60 with out glasses and up to 90 with glasses on and no buffeting, some air in the face.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Blusmbl, I have a 2 month old Clearview Grand Touring Shield which is in excellent condition (~ 500 miles), and I was getting ready to sell on the forum. I am between 6/1 and 6/2, and look through just below the top of it, which is perfect.. it will be exactly what the doctor ordered for you, and it totally kills all buffeting.. I am talking about nothing other than some wind from underneath / by the tank. If you are interested, let's set something up, and I will give you a great deal, and include shipping (lower 48 states). Here is a link to the site:

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=22

I am having a custom seat made which totally changed my position, and hence, have a much lower shield now. Let me know!

Andrew

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Just curious, I'm 6' 4" and large in the torso (all 3 dimensions!), my inseam is only 34". I've had my RKC for a year and 8000 miles now, took my first longer trip with it over Labor Day. I'm not that impressed with how it cuts through the wind, and the buffeting with any combination of helmets isn't good. I've tried the chrome lower fork wind deflectors, they are an improvement but don't get the job done. I think going +4 on the windscreen may fix most of it (this would put the top of the windshield slightly above my nose). But, I've also been debating getting a detachable batwing for my bike instead of the taller windshield, mainly for the tunes. I think there are many more tall windshield options for the batwing fairings.

A stretch/distant 3rd option would be a Road Glide. I've grown to like the look and I've heard they are better in the wind. For those of you who are tall, which is of the three is your preference, and/or what did you do to eliminate the buffeting?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

I had the Cee Baileys, and it didn't stop the buffeting because it is rounded in the corners. The Clear View shield has a more squared presentation, and kills all of those Von Karman vortices. I hope this helps...

Originally Posted by ceebaileys
hey dandolfn, thanks for your interest in our product. hopefully, through feedback from other forum user's experience, we can be a great resource to you. PM us if you want to discuss further details about the Road King ws.

Thanks! Ride safe

Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I can't claim to be either tall or very big, but my bike originally had a windshield like an RK. I couldn't get on with it because of the buffetting, even weaving it sometimes caused. I now have a batwing and that has cured most of the problems. Any dresser is like a barn door pushing through the air, but I can now ride two week tours in comfort, which I never could do before.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

We have lots and lots of happy RK customers using our shield. If anyone is interested, I can offer you a guarantee satisfaction if you would like to give it a shot. I'm positive you won't be disappointed. PM me, give me a call, or email me a mention this thread. You can't beat our price either. Check them out. Just click our link.
And for you RG riders out there having issues. I know a taller shield is needed most of the time, and we have just started making the Phantom for RoadGlide shields up to 12" now. The 12 is not on our site just yet, so you will have to pm me, call me, or give me an email and I will take care of you. And if you thought the RK shields were a great price, check out our Phantoms for RoadGlide. Just click our signature to check out our website.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: Best wind protection for taller folks? RG/batwing/RK with extended shield?