Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:19 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain
Default Tail of the Dragon

I will be riding TOD next week. I have seen the videos of the trucks coming around blind corners taking up the whole lane. Is this a frequent thing that I need to worry about?

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:26 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yes it does happen,but more important watch out for other bikes. Crotch rocket idiots will buzz you,to show what pros they really are. Then watch out coming around blind corners. It's always some rookie rider HD/CR,riding faster than his skill level crossing the yellow line on you. Be smart,and don't ride over your head,and you will be fine.

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:37 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Rode the Dragon this past may on a 2010 SG. No problems with trucks, but certainly a possibility. A few motorcycles did cross over the double yellow a bit though, and one totally missed a turn, crossed the line and ended up in the woods. (Both the rider and bike were scratched up a little but otherwise were ok).

Stay focused and relaxed and you'll enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted by Ultrasweet
I will be riding TOD next week. I have seen the videos of the trucks coming around blind corners taking up the whole lane. Is this a frequent thing that I need to worry about?

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:38 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

I have rode it several times and the thing to remember is to take it easy the first trip up there. There are many switchbacks that are poorly slanted and will send you over the edge of the road if you are not cautious enough.

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:40 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master

I did the TOD... once. IMHO it's not really worth it. There are far too many roads around the same area with just about the same twisties and MUCH less traffic. Between the tractor trailers, sports cars and especially the disrespectful sport bikes, (passing many times around blind turns) it wasn't really that enjoyable and I'm a Street Glide scraper. I LOVE hittin twisties hard and close to the limits of the bike. Don't get me wrong, it was fun... but I have no desire to do it again. Both myself and my buddies that rode down together had more fun on the roads to get there than on the actual TOD. Just in the time to go out and back we saw 3 street bikes either off the road completely down in ditches or wrecked into an oncoming car. There are ALOT of wannabees pushing wayyyy too hard trying to impress friends and worrying about how good their videos are going to come out. YouTube it and watch for yourself to get a feel of what it's like. There's my 2 cents...

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:42 AM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

Don't ride the center stripe....stay in the middle of your lane.Don't ride over your head.And last of all...ride your own pace and enjoy the twisties. Oh....go early in the morning to beat the crowds. Have fun and be safe

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:43 AM
force49r
Tourer

I live close by, around 2 hrs from home. Just be careful. Best time is Monday through Thursday. Take your time and enjoy it. I don't think I ever got above 3rd gear at best. Once you get your "been there and rode that" T-shirt, it's ok we all have one, hit the Cherohala Skyway. It's 10x better! Swooping curves, killer views! It dumps out in Tellico Plains, Tn. It's by far my favorite ride.

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:51 AM
flashracer
Tourer

I just got back from the gap. If you get the chance after riding the dragon go through Bryson City - Robbinsville as check out the lake veiws on your way to Cherokee then hit the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:18 AM
binkman78
Club Member

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
I did the TOD... once. IMHO it's not really worth it. There are far too many roads around the same area with just about the same twisties and MUCH less traffic. Between the tractor trailers, sports cars and especially the disrespectful sport bikes, (passing many times around blind turns) it wasn't really that enjoyable and I'm a Street Glide scraper. I LOVE hittin twisties hard and close to the limits of the bike. Don't get me wrong, it was fun... but I have no desire to do it again. Both myself and my buddies that rode down together had more fun on the roads to get there than on the actual TOD. Just in the time to go out and back we saw 3 street bikes either off the road completely down in ditches or wrecked into an oncoming car. There are ALOT of wannabees pushing wayyyy too hard trying to impress friends and worrying about how good their videos are going to come out. YouTube it and watch for yourself to get a feel of what it's like. There's my 2 cents...
Plus 1 - been there done that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkUzhh9E9A

Old 09-18-2011 | 12:55 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

When I go back it will be for the Blue Ridge Pkwy and the Cherohala Skyway. The tail is one of those roads that you can say you rode it.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon