Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011 | 04:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
I did the TOD... once. IMHO it's not really worth it. There are far too many roads around the same area with just about the same twisties and MUCH less traffic. Between the tractor trailers, sports cars and especially the disrespectful sport bikes, (passing many times around blind turns) it wasn't really that enjoyable and I'm a Street Glide scraper. I LOVE hittin twisties hard and close to the limits of the bike. Don't get me wrong, it was fun... but I have no desire to do it again. Both myself and my buddies that rode down together had more fun on the roads to get there than on the actual TOD. Just in the time to go out and back we saw 3 street bikes either off the road completely down in ditches or wrecked into an oncoming car. There are ALOT of wannabees pushing wayyyy too hard trying to impress friends and worrying about how good their videos are going to come out. YouTube it and watch for yourself to get a feel of what it's like. There's my 2 cents...
+1 ... Been there, done that. Once was enough. Way too congested and far too many rookie riders who think they are "knee draggers" There are far too many other great roads in the area. Here is a link to a map that provides information on great rides in and around the area that will keep you riding for days on great roads with plenty of great scenery. http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/12-...ides-NC007.htm I am partial to the Cherohala Highway, but they are all worth the time to explore! Last time down there we rented a place just outside of Cherokee and rode in a different direction every day. Would DEFINITELY do it that way again. Just my .02 cents worth!

Old 09-27-2011 | 09:10 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

stop at the Harley shops in Maryville or Pigeon Forge and pick up a map that has a lot of roads to ride in the area they have a paper one for free and sell some really nice maps that are laminated at a pretty good price for rides in the area.

Old 09-27-2011 | 09:24 PM
Corsair
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
No one answered this question, so I am making a bump - anyone know where these rides reside?

http://www.dealsgap.com/maps.htm

Rode it in early Aug. The day before our arrival sport biker was killed hitting the rear tandems on a semi in his lane.
Next day a Tn trooper followed a Semi up the hill, then stopped him and wrote him a citation for every time he had crossed the double yellows. I'm told he had a fist full of tickets.

Old 09-27-2011 | 10:00 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
I did the TOD... once. IMHO it's not really worth it. There are far too many roads around the same area with just about the same twisties and MUCH less traffic. Between the tractor trailers, sports cars and especially the disrespectful sport bikes, (passing many times around blind turns) it wasn't really that enjoyable and I'm a Street Glide scraper. I LOVE hittin twisties hard and close to the limits of the bike. Don't get me wrong, it was fun... but I have no desire to do it again. Both myself and my buddies that rode down together had more fun on the roads to get there than on the actual TOD. Just in the time to go out and back we saw 3 street bikes either off the road completely down in ditches or wrecked into an oncoming car. There are ALOT of wannabees pushing wayyyy too hard trying to impress friends and worrying about how good their videos are going to come out. YouTube it and watch for yourself to get a feel of what it's like. There's my 2 cents...

Yeah that. It's a fukin road. Period! In my opinion it is one of the most over rated roads in the country. What makes it dangerous is ******** riding over their head and others that just don't belong on any road much less the dragon. It is a tourist area plain and simple. The locals make money promoting the road and so called ''experts'' will tell you what a treacherous place it is. If you think HD shirts are over priced check out deals gap. On the other hand there are some beautiful riding areas and if you are into toothless women Robbinsville is the place to be.

Old 09-28-2011 | 06:30 AM
98Ultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
+1 ... Been there, done that. Once was enough. Way too congested and far too many rookie riders who think they are "knee draggers" There are far too many other great roads in the area. Here is a link to a map that provides information on great brides in and around the area that will keep you riding for days on great roads with plenty of great scenery. http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/12-...ides-NC007.htm
+1 on America Rides Maps

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:43 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Ride it Mon-Thurs...not alot of traffic and idiots. Fri-Sun it is too full of dbags and much less safe.

Old 09-28-2011 | 12:45 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

Good luck on riding the TOD. It can be fun and it can be dangerous. But, you should ride it, just be careful, ride within your ability, and watch out for the other guys. Biggest issue I had was the riders that passed me on curves. One dude had his girlfriend (I guess) on the back of his rice rocket and passed me at the beginning of a blind curve. That spooked me some but I was on the correct side of the rode meaning he wasn't - he was over the double-yellow line. Ride it before the weekend as the crotch rocket types are out in force on the weekend.

Old 09-28-2011 | 06:29 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultrasweet
This is all useful info. I have decided to leave my wife at the bottom, or beginning and ride it with my buds. She has no desire and I should find it easier without the extra load on the back. She only weighs 140 but 140 is 140.
If ya leave her on the TN side, she will be in the middle of nowhere, except for a nice Mountain lake. NC side she could hang out at Deal's Gap motorcycle resort.

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:57 PM
RDM
Road Master

Just ride to your skill level and have a good time. We just got back from a week's stay in that area. Weekdays were the best time to run the dragon and later in the day on Sunday wasn't bad either. We rode the dragon a couple of times each day just because it was between where we were and where we wanted to go. Didn't see any trucks but did see sport bikes crossing the center line and there were several riders off the road and in the ditch or worse. We stayed at the Ironhorse and rode a different direction each day. There are lots of roads near the dragon that are as good if not better. Enjoy your ride!