Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:03 PM
caspr2
Tourer

After riding the Dragon, try some of the other roads in the area. 209 to Hot Springs, NC80 off of the BRPKY. Or just about any road that crosses the BlueRidge Pky. There are a lot of roads that have much less traffic on them and are as good as the Dragon if not better.

Old 09-19-2011 | 01:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Actually the claim is 318 miles in 11 miles.
Yeah, I kinda missed the correct key by two. Such is testimony to the value of proofreading. Anyway, ±200 curves is within my margin of error.

Last edited by iclick; 09-19-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2011 | 02:27 PM
baggerman11
Intermediate

Just ride to your abilities. It ain't how fast you rode it, it's the fact you can mark it off your bucket list. Next ride should be the GAP, and next ride should be Iron Mountain. Ride them all, then put them back on your bucket list. Gonna do them all again next year.

Old 09-19-2011 | 02:37 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Question More Info Please....

Originally Posted by baggerman11
Just ride to your abilities. It ain't how fast you rode it, it's the fact you can mark it off your bucket list. Next ride should be the GAP, and next ride should be Iron Mountain. Ride them all, then put them back on your bucket list. Gonna do them all again next year.
What is the "GAP" and "Iron Mountain"? Can you post a google map link to these please? I have never heard of these two rides/locations.

Old 09-19-2011 | 03:03 PM
Javawave
Tourer

I have been there a couple of times, if you take your time and ride the center of your lane you will be fine. If you hear a sport bike coming up on you, just hold your line and they will find away around you. If you try to help them you will get yourself in trouble.

take it slow, enjoy the experience and then go ride one of the many not so famous but just as good roads in the area.

Old 09-19-2011 | 04:24 PM
Lone Rambler
Cruiser

Ya may want to make sure you have DOT helmet alot of my friends have got the ticket for thier novelty helmets on the Dragon. Enjoy!

Old 09-19-2011 | 06:58 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

Rode it for the first time over labor Day weekend. Was a bit worried about my gal, as she has only been riding for a few years. She did great. We rode at her pace, with me following as a buffer from following traffic. Passed a guy who ran his bagger into the rocks. He looked pretty trashed, but had lots of people there helping him out. We ran it backwards, and when we got to the HD shop, my gal said: Was that it? Like she expected it to be so much worse than it was. I was so proud of her! I ticked it off my list, and probably won't run it again. Would rather find something new, with less traffic to try.

Old 09-19-2011 | 07:28 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

I didn't have any problems with my novelty, but good point about the LEO's. There were quite a few on the Dragon and surrounding roads.

Originally Posted by Lone Rambler
Ya may want to make sure you have DOT helmet alot of my friends have got the ticket for thier novelty helmets on the Dragon. Enjoy!

Old 09-19-2011 | 08:25 PM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain

Is there a resting place at the beginning on the NC side?

Old 09-19-2011 | 08:44 PM
gringo1450
Intermediate

Just ride at your own pace stay alert and smile for the guy taking pictures you can look yourself up on line when you get home

They are checking for DOT helments and cycle endorsements

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon