Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011 | 01:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
I did the TOD... once. IMHO it's not really worth it. There are far too many roads around the same area with just about the same twisties and MUCH less traffic.
I agree. I've run it twice without issues, i.e. no 18-wheelers or sport bikes running me off the road, but I agree that it is more of a one-time experience than a ride you'd want to do repeatedly. With 118 curves in 11 miles it's a bit of a chore, but there is no area that requires more than moderate skill to negotiate. I.e., no world-class switchbacks like you see at Mt. Nebo, AR; Hwy. 123 in AR; or Needles Hwy. in SD--that I recall, anyway.

The bottom line is that it should be the goal of every rider to experience it, but IMO there are better roads in the area for hitting the twisties without the risks. When you do it, buy a dragon decal for the back of your helmet to signify the feat. There's a tourist-trap biker store and lodge on the NC end of the road that has t-shirts, etc. The place is jammed with bikers of all stripes on weekends.

Last edited by iclick; 09-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2011 | 03:11 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't wait to someday check this off my 'bucket list'.

Old 09-18-2011 | 06:39 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultrasweet
I will be riding TOD next week. I have seen the videos of the trucks coming around blind corners taking up the whole lane. Is this a frequent thing that I need to worry about?
I road the Dragon for the first time this past June - had a semi coming from the other direction... luckily the truck was not in a corner when I came up on it. If a bike is coming from the other direction, and he is waving for you to slow down, there is probably a semi or a wreck coming up around the corner...

Best advise is to ride the Dragon early and in the middle of the week, when the traffic is lightest. Do the whole loop, which includes the Cherohala Skyway and part of the Moonshiner 28 (ride the whole Moonshiner 28 if you can). Have fun.

Old 09-18-2011 | 07:01 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior

We rode it just this last weekend - no issues with trucks, other "fast" riders were polite, slow riders moved off to road segways...

All in all we had a great time and no issues.

We saw more two-seater sporty type cars and sport bikes then we did tours and cruisers.

Deal's Gap was cool. It was our first time. I would do it again, just for the poop of it, but as someone mentioned, there are FAR better and other roads to roll on.

I did a movie with my GoPro, if you are interested.

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:02 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Actually the claim is 318 miles in 11 miles.

Originally Posted by iclick
I agree. I've run it twice without issues, i.e. no 18-wheelers or sport bikes running me off the road, but I agree that it is more of a one-time experience than a ride you'd want to do repeatedly. With 118 curves in 11 miles it's a bit of a chore, but there is no area that requires more than moderate skill to negotiate. I.e., no world-class switchbacks like you see at Mt. Nebo, AR; Hwy. 123 in AR; or Needles Hwy. in SD--that I recall, anyway.

The bottom line is that it should be the goal of every rider to experience it, but IMO there are better roads in the area for hitting the twisties without the risks. When you do it, buy a dragon decal for the back of your helmet to signify the feat. There's a tourist-trap biker store and lodge on the NC end of the road that has t-shirts, etc. The place is jammed with bikers of all stripes on weekends.

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:23 PM
dv102
Road Captain

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Yes it does happen,but more important watch out for other bikes. Crotch rocket idiots will buzz you,to show what pros they really are. Then watch out coming around blind corners. It's always some rookie rider HD/CR,riding faster than his skill level crossing the yellow line on you. Be smart,and don't ride over your head,and you will be fine.

+1 on watching out for other bikes I got took out a year ago by a guy who lost it in a corner and slid into us head on. It takes about 45 minutes to be transported to a hospital via an ambulance plus another 40-45 minutes for the ambulance to get to you. Would I go do it again maybe but as others said there are far too many other roads in that area to ride that are just as good if not better that you can enjoy the ride. So I would maybe do pass down the dragon and spent the rest of the time exploring. Either way be safe and enjoy.

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:36 PM
aidansdad
Cruiser

Rode it for the first time last weekend. On my new bike w/ my OL on he back, so i ws REAL careful. No trucks, got buzzed twice, once by a BMW and once by a 1000RR, but nothing dangerous. Everyone I ran into/upon was courteous and respectful of my space on the road. And we rode @ 4pm on a Saturday. Maybe we just got lucky. But like everyone else said, the roads getting there are better. "Hellbender 28" up to the TOD is lots of fun.

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:16 PM
Fa395
Intermediate
Default Tail of the Dragon

Awesome road to ride the 318 turns in 11 miles will have you wondering when it will end...But ride sensibly and you will enjoy the heck out of it...Try to ride on the during the week it will be much more enjoyable....Try the Hell Bender Waylon Road along the lake and some of the other roads in the area very enjoyable place

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:29 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rushbass
Best advise is to ride the Dragon early and in the middle of the week, when the traffic is lightest. Do the whole loop, which includes the Cherohala Skyway and part of the Moonshiner 28 (ride the whole Moonshiner 28 if you can). Have fun.
X10 !!!!!!! Moonshiner 28 was our favorite road.WE rode it from The Dragon all the way to Anderson, SC...

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:55 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Only been to the dragon once and it was closed due to a rock slide. For a great ride, try going west out of Sisters, Oregon on 242 towards Eugene. This was a quality ride for scenery, curves and switchbacks. The road is narrow with very little traffic. Only small trucks are allowed, but we didn't see any.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon